Thread: Handcycles with drum brakes?

Handcycles with drum brakes?

Today I test rode two handcycles: a Quickie Shark and a TopEnd Force. The Shark had 7 speeds with a hand-crank mounted twist shifter and a back-pedal drum brake (also a stem-mounted parking caliper brake). The Force had 27 speeds with hand-crank mounted thumb/index-finger shifter and a handle operated caliper brake (no parking brake).

Because of my dysmetria and intention tremors, the Shark setup worked far better for me than the Force. As a one-time avid cycler, I perceive the Force setup as preferable, but I must face reality - my hands can't deal with it.

Yet quads use 27-speed setups; do my tremors make such a difference?

Anyway, from my web search the only drum-brake equipped handcycles are the Quickie Shark and TopEnd XLT lines. I really wanted a Brike cycle, but I don't see drum brakes as an option.

Even though I preferred the Shark's shifting/braking setup, my legs really got in the way when turning, which is one reason I wanted a Brike. What I'd really like to try is a lean steer (I have good trunk control) with a hand-crank mounted shifter with a reverse-pedal drum brake. Is such a thing available?

Besides the Shark and XLT, what other drum-brake handcycles exist?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I'm sure Mike Lofgren from Freedom Ryder could accommodate you Chas. I used a Strumey Archer hub either 5 or 7 speed internal gearing with a drum brake many years ago, worked great. I think I remember Mike saying something about setting one up like you wanted for a vet earlier. I'll pm you with his email and I'm sure he'd want to talk with you.

Thanks, Pat.

I emailed Mike.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 04-25-2012 at 03:16 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>