Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entertaining

Entertaining

I've got the menu ideas for my dinner party. I still haven't decided exactly but it won't take long to decide.

I need some tips on socializing and just talking. There will be between 6 to 8 people coming, with only me and the one guy being single. The rest are married couples. I really want to get out of my shell and talk, laugh and just open up, but I don't know what to talk about. I'm excited about this, but I'm also getting nervous. I remember in the past when I had people over, I sometimes struggled with knowing what to talk about. This makes me feel awkward, which is why I quit having people over. I want to have a good time and to look like I'm having a good time as well. It won't look that way if I'm just sitting there. I know that one couple is very out going so that will liven things up.

I want to offer to play a game, but I don't know if everyone likes playing games. I thought catch phrase would be fun for a group.

I may mention something about my college
    Ask the guy about Soul stock -- a Christian concert coming up
    Maybe about working with the youth, but I'm not sure on that.

Don't write a script, just let the conversation flow around you, smile and look interested and you'll do fine.. Will you have appetizers? Make sure you offer beverages, that breaks the ice, especially if they can help themselves. I know you're nervous; but if you smile and listen to those around you, it will go fine. It's better to ask your guests questions than have a list of what to say about yourself. Do you know them pretty well? A game is fun, but that usually happens after dinner.

http://www.partyelf.com/party-games/...g-party-games/

http://www.ehow.com/list_5838572_chr...ker-games.html

There are lots of websites that have ideas. Its called ice breaking games. We used to do this at our church years ago when we had get togethers for our Sunday school class. Usually you only need one and that gets the conversations flowing.

I tried to do more than one and it didn't work. Most of your time will be taken up eating...so maybe just pick a simple game and do it when everyone arrives.

The more complicated the game is, the more nervous it seems you are going to be. Since you would like to meet/mingle with this guy, why not ask one of the ladies to lead a game if you are too nervous or help you host the game part.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I like the ice breaker game ideas. I'll definitely try to find a good one. I am hoping everyone will stay about 3 hours so I want to fill some of that time. Some may not stay that long because of living away, but I hope most will stay. I don't like when I have a get together and it's over in a couple of hours.

get some music on and light some non-perfumey candles prior to people showing up (don't overdo it) Create a comfortable yet lively atmosphere and it will set a mood for people to be engaging.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

They sell these little card at different places. They have a question on them and everyone takes a turn drawing a card and answering the questions. It is fun
    A pitcher of margaritas always helps also.
    Or maybe you could give everyone a piece of paper to write down a question on and put them all in a bowl and pass it around. FUN!

Play "Pass the Pigs" (if you don't have it now maybe get it for future use). All you have to do is roll these two little rubber pigs and you get scored on how they land! We play this a lot and it's funny how competitive people get during it. I've throw pigs in a tantrum and they bounced on the table into a lit candle. Wax pool party.

http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Moves-...5334221&sr=1-4
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Thanks for all of these suggestions. I'm going to try coming up with a couple of ice break type games for after dinner. I've been cleaning all day and am about done, but now my refrigerator shelf is messed up and I can't fix it. I'll be glad when I can just sit back and relax and enjoy my company because I know I will be fine by the time everyone gets here. And I found out last night that everyone is coming.

One of my favourites is the BBQ suckling pig.
    Since it really takes a long time to prepare and the chair makes it impossible for me to do so
    i buy them already cooked, small 12kg ones do fine.
    Stick them on a rotating bar under the fire, a couple of beers and presto let the feast begin.

One thing that is really catching up on our tiny island is the medivial dinner where all food is cooked and served as was done 400 year ago. I don't like the mead which they used to call beer though.