Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dinner party -- BBQ chicken

Dinner party -- BBQ chicken

I am having a dinner party at my place this Thursday. I have decided to have BBQ as the main dish. I would like some suggestions on side dishes. I thought about mashed potatoes, baked beans or green beans and macaroni and cheese. Someone is bringing dessert and sweet tea. There are two other women that will be coming so I thought about asking one of them to bring the potatoes and the other one to bring the macaroni and cheese. That would leave me with fixing the chicken, beans and some type of bread. I wanted to make mexican cornbread, but I've never made it before so I'll probably just go with can biscuits.

Which beans would go better with this? I like the idea of fixing some baked beans and flavoring them up with brown sugar, bbq sauce and honey and green peppers, but I would be afraid that no everyone would like the way I flavor them up. But if I went with green beans how can I flavor them up? I think plain from a can doesn't taste very good. I also figured I could put either of these in a crock pot so I won't have to do much to them.

What about cooking the chicken? I was going to cook it in a crockpot, then take it out and put bbq sauce on it and put it in a dish in the oven. But how long should I cook it in the oven and what tempature? It's been awhile since I have fixed bbq chicken so I can't remember how to do it.

Have you thought about making a green bean salad or casserole? I have used this recipe a few times and found it very successful, I usually leave the walnuts out though because not everyone is a fan of nuts

Ingredients
    1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
    2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
    2 tablespoons chopped red onion
    2 teaspoons walnut oil or olive oil
    1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    Salt and pepper
    Directions
    Bring a large pot of water with a steamer basket to a boil, add green beans and steam for about 4 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl.

Toast the walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium heat until they become fragrant, about 2 minutes, and then transfer them to a small bowl to cool. Add the parsley and onion to the walnuts and stir to combine.

In another small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar and mustard. Toss the dressing with the green beans, top with the walnut mixture and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Another simpler idea for a side is pasta salad. My favorite is bow tie noodles, a cucumber, a green pepper, tomato, and cubed cheese. Mix together and mix in ranch dressing until everything is coated evenly!

In the winter or when we are out of gas for the grill I usually just bake my BBQ chicken (breasts) in the oven at 400 for about 40 minutes. Then I add the sauce and bake for another 20 or so. My mom likes to bake it at 350 for about an hour and a half. Takes longer but the chicken stays really juicy!

got to have some deviled eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    got to have some deviled eggs!
    Hey I was thinking about having those too. I know they are easy to fix, but I'll see if my mom will fix them and drop them off.

That meal cries out for sweet corn on the cob!

Also, I prefer baked beans slow cooked. Might leave out the green peppers, though.

Well I am kind of a throw together taste cook. Since I travel and cook for two, you will have to adjust the recipe to suit. But my granny started this recipe or my mom. I can't remember which....

Borrow a crock pot or bake in the oven at 375 for 30-45 min until they smell good LOL

Pork n Beans
    Fresh onion
    Hamburger (ground sirloin is what I use) (browned)

Ketchup two or three TBS
    brown sugar one tsp (in relation to how much ketchup used)
    Vinegar usually tsp
    Salt/Pepper

I have added crumbled bacon and different spices to whatever suited me at the time. But the main recipe always remains the same. I take this to lots of potlucks and church when I used to go.

Good luck and I think your menu sounds great.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

easy beans and they're great
    couple cans of bushs beans
    saute a whole cut up onion in oil
    when they're translucent, throw in the beans
    thinly slice hot dogs or sausage and put in the pan
    simmer on low
    serve
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

the best coleslaw I have ever had

Coleslaw:

• 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
    • 1 cup mayonnaise
    • 1/4 cup sour cream
    • 1/2 lemon, juiced
    • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    • 2 teaspoons sugar
    • 1/2 head savoy cabbage finely sliced
    • 1/2 head purple cabbage, finely sliced
    • 2 green onions, chopped
    • 2 carrots, sliced on mandoline
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepperCombine the mustard, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, vinegar and sugar. Mix well and add finely sliced savoy cabbage, purple cabbage, green onions and carrots. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Personally, I think cooking chicken in a crock pot, grilling it, and then putting it in the oven is a little too much cooking for chicken. I would mix chicken and Sweet Billy Ray's BBQ sauce and put in a 11 x 13 inch baking pan. Bake for about 45 min. at 350°, then quickly grill the chicken to get some grill marks and caramelize the sauce and serve with left over sauce.

This Bean Salad is great and believe it or not left overs freeze well. Make half the recipe, this recipe makes a lot of salad. Make it a day ahead of the party
    Cajun Bean Salad
    2 cans blackeyed peas drained
    2 cans garbanzo beans drained
    2 cans pinto beans drained
    2 cans kidney beans drained
    1 can whole kernel corn drained
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 medium green bell pepper diced
    1 medium red bell pepper diced
    1 medium yellow bell pepper diced
    1 tablespoon dried red chili flakes
    ½ cup canola oil
    4 cloves garlic minced
    ½ cup white wine vinegar
    ⅔ cup sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon pepper coarsely ground
    SALAD
    ∞ In a colander, drain black eyed peas, beans, and corn and rinse well
    ∞ Combine with onion and bell peppers. Set aside in refrigerator while preparing dressing

DRESSING
    ∞ In a saucepan, combine dried chili flakes with canola oil and heat gently until peppers start to darken. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl or another pan and add garlic to the hot oil (you don't want to brown the garlic, just warm it). Add white wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
    ∞ Cool dressing, then combine with bean mixture, mixing well. Place in refrigerator until well chilled to serve

Notes:
    » All cans are 15 ounce size
    » Keeps several days in refrigerator
    » You can add a can of green beans to the recipe

Enjoy your party!
    NL (GJ's wife and caregiver)

Wolfe Beans
    2 - 28oz cans Bush's Beans (your choice of flavor)
    1lb Maple Sausage
    1 - Bell Pepper diced
    1 - Onion diced
    1-2 Jalapenos (Optional)
    1/2 Cup Sweet BBQ Sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays)
    1/2 Cup Wolfe Rub Original (or your favorite BBQ Rub)

Brown sausage and drain most of the grease, then saute' the onion, jalapeno and bell pepper in a couple tablespoons of the sausage grease for 2-3 minutes, not till soft. Add beans, BBQ sauce and Wolfe Rub Original and let simmer over medium low heat until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.

Atomic Buffalo Turds ......Aka- ABT's

Make twice as many of these as you think you will need......they go FAST!

What you will need:

1lb cheap bacon (Oscar Mayer works great) the thinner the better
    10-15 good size jalapeno peppers
    1 brick cream cheese
    8oz Mexi Blend Cheese
    1 cup Pulled pork (if you don't have any, you can omit or add in browned sausage or 1 lil' smokey to each pepper)
    2-3 TBS Wolfe Rub Original (or your favorite rub)

Wearing latex gloves, cut eat pepper in half length wise and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon.

Then combine, cream cheese, mexican cheese blend, rub and pulled pork until thoroughly combined and fill each pepper half with about 2 TBS of the filling.

Wrap each pepper half with 1 full strip of bacon and place on the smoker over indirect heat in the 245º-260º range and smoke for approximately 1.5-2 hrs until the bacon is rendered and crisp. These can be made on a broiler pan in the oven, but for best results, cook on a grill or smoker.

Almost done

Ready to enjoy. You can serve with Ranch or Bleu Cheese and celery and carrots.
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel