Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going Home Thursday! Advice?

Talking Going Home Thursday! Advice?

Good Morning Everyone

So after 3 long months I'm finally going to get to leave rehab and go home! I've never been so scared/excited in my life. I'll take any advice anyone has on going home! I'll be going home to my own house with my husband and three roommates.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

~Sam T-11

Hi Sam. My level is similar to yours (t12 for 3 years). I suggest keeping a journal and make sure to write down everything you're greatful for in each day. And when you think twice about a transfer or doing something you loved pre injury because it seems like too much work, push yourself to do it anyways. You re a survivor and you have within you or will be given everything you need to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam.I.Am View Post
    Good Morning Everyone

So after 3 long months I'm finally going to get to leave rehab and go home! I've never been so scared/excited in my life. I'll take any advice anyone has on going home! I'll be going home to my own house with my husband and three roommates.

~Sam T-11
    I too am close at T12 and can't do math LOL This is my 23rd year since my injury. I posted for several days thinking it was 24 but oh well....

I know you are scared and rightfully so. This is your biggest challenge but it won't be your only challenge. One of my favorite children's books was teh "little engine that could". In the early days of my injury in the late 80's, I did not have the support that you now have here. I always chanted in my mind, "I think I can" until it became "I did it".

You have to know that you have limitations take care of your body. Pushing to much can be dangerous for your body while not pushing enough can be dangerous for your mind.

Good luck in your continued recovery and know you are not alone.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Take things one at a time...there's going to be a lot going on when you get home, and a lot to adjust to. Decide what is most important, and tackle those things first. Also, try to be realistic in your early goals. For example, when my husband first got home, he still had another 4-5 weeks in a TLSO brace, so it wasn't possible for him to shower by himself...so we pushed that goal off for a while.

Keep a journal for everything...especially liquid intake/cathing/bowel schedule/etc. We did this all pretty religiously for the first 3-4 months, so that he had a good idea of what foods/drinks yielded more output and things like that.

Get outside, or at least out of your house, and for non-medical things. You'll have a lot of doctor's appointments...try to also get out to a local park/mall/restaurant.

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam.I.Am View Post
    Good Morning Everyone

~Sam T-11

Hi Sam,

When I first went home, it was a big adjustment. At the hospital, I had plenty of room and someone was almost always there; be it roommates, nurses or visitors. When I got home, it was me and my mother. I was home for a couple of weeks and boy was it an adjustment. After going through rehab (like you), going home was much easier. It's scary at first but very quickly you will become comfortable.

Good luck and enjoy your new life. It's not as bad as it appears.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Thanks so much everyone! I love the journal idea! I still have another 2 weeks in the turtle shell so I know I will be extremely limited already. I think I'm going to sit down and make a list of goals and dates I want to accomplish it by. Reading all the stuff on here is giving me a pretty decent idea of what to expect Goal number one, sit in grass at the park and watch the lake! I miss outside

Make sure you have all the supplies you will need ready and waiting for you at home. You have had all of this at your finger tips and for the asking in the rehabilitation setting. Now you will need to have everything you have been using at home in locations that you can easily access.

Look at a 48 hour period and start making a list of everything you use, catheters, lubricant, antiseptic wipes, bowel care supplies etc. Will you go home from rehab with adequate supplies or do you need to order some supplies?

Prepare a list of durable medical equipments suppliers, doctors, therapists, etc. so that these important contacts are all in one place and easy for you to find.

Welcome Home.

All the best,
    GJ

Write down all contact information and names and phone numbers and appointments.
    CWO

emergency numbers, let the local fire department know that you are in a wheelchair
    inventory list of supplies. remove extra furniture that might be in your way, check width of door ways versus width of chair you may have to remove doors or moulding, move things that you use alot to a height you can reach, move your clothes into lower dresser drawers, lower the bar in your closet that your clothes hang on
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Just do your best to enjoy and know that for as much as you have learned to do things differently you have much much more to learn. You can figure out how to do just about anything a lot will be figuring out what is just to time consuming even if you "can" do it that does not mean it is a good idea to spend that much time doing it. I know I can pretty much get just about anything done but there are things I get/let other people to do because it is just not a good use of my time. Once you get the shell off get physical, explore the gym and as soon as you can check out handcycling since you like the out doors