Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Icon A1 Six Months In - How have you found it?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by ipenguin View Post
    And since you're able to make such precise set up changes, you can balance the chair to minimize the feel of any increased weight.
    True. I have the laminate seat pan too. To upgrade to CF for the seat & the back would be +$810. The weight is most noticeable when lifting, but it's not bad (I know this is subjective).

    I have a set of wheels to assemble & then I'll post some photos, likely next week.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    True. I have the laminate seat pan too. To upgrade to CF for the seat & the back would be +$810. The weight is most noticeable when lifting, but it's not bad (I know this is subjective).

    I have a set of wheels to assemble & then I'll post some photos, likely next week.
    I know what you mean. Lifting weight is the main issue for me. Because of that, I'd most likely go for the nylon back (at first) to keep everything a compact as possible when lifting. Good luck putting it all together

  3. #23
    The nylon back works fine (I have one), but some of us need the extra support.

    The chair is together. I've just been using it w/ older wheels. I've got a set of Dinos (black spokes/hubs) that will be fully murdered out w/ black handrims/tires soon.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    The nylon back works fine (I have one), but some of us need the extra support.

    The chair is together. I've just been using it w/ older wheels. I've got a set of Dinos (black spokes/hubs) that will be fully murdered out w/ black handrims/tires soon.
    Ah cool, thanks Scott. I wasn't sure about the nylon back compared to solid backs. Thanks for the clarification about support benefits. My upper body and core are unaffected so I'd imagine the standard back will be fine

    Can't wait to see the pictures

  5. #25
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    The ADI CF back is great and it doesn't really change your position forwrd like other say. Did you get rigid mount? Since the back angle is adjustable on the chair, I don't see much use for the angle adjustable mounts.
    I don't know about the mounts yet. It was one of the questions on the order I didn't have the answer for. I'll be talking to Jeff again to finalize the details, like the hardware. Oh this is going to be a long long month! :-) And yes, I do love the ADI carbon fiber back. Super expensive and really felt worth it. Argh, long month.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I don't know about the mounts yet. It was one of the questions on the order I didn't have the answer for. I'll be talking to Jeff again to finalize the details, like the hardware. Oh this is going to be a long long month! :-) And yes, I do love the ADI carbon fiber back. Super expensive and really felt worth it. Argh, long month.
    Have the ADI CF backrest with fixed elite hardware and I like it a lot. Way lighter than my old Varilite.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by arod636 View Post
    I went to go test mine out on friday, but it came with no manual, pump for the shock, or cushion. Needless to say I didn't take it home. Cause it wasn't set up for me and the guy didn't wanna play with it and end up messing something up. I am supposed to go back after they talk to icon and see what they can do. One thing I noticed is that the casters aren't independent like the marvel ones are. And the front end doesn't have a quick release like the marvel. Is there a reason for this? The quick release is something I really liked about the marvel chair. The chair did look good though. I was definitely impressed

    We don't usually provide cushions, the manual is online (we're trying hard to not kill trees), and the shock pump is a tool that we expect our dealers to have. We recently added it to our order form.

    I'm sorry I missed you - I was there from 3-6 on Tuesday.

    What do you mean about the castors being "independent"? Not sure I'm getting it....are you talking about the front suspension that we did last time? If so, we eliminated that element in the Icon because it really didn't get many good reviews - people were mostly either neutral about it or didn't like the "feel" when they were transferring - it was also pretty expensive for us to make, so we just took it out.

    Thanks for the kind words - we're going to send Antonio a carbon seat to put on the demo to make it even nicer, and hopefully I can co-ordinate a bit better for being there when you are next time.

  8. #28
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by juggular View Post
    Have the ADI CF backrest with fixed elite hardware and I like it a lot. Way lighter than my old Varilite.
    That's good to hear, thanks. I have been looking at the Varilite for a long time.

  9. #29
    Senior Member arod636's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, Cali
    Posts
    640
    Thanks Jeff, that answers my questions about the casters...

  10. #30
    Right!! I've made a decision. I'm going to get an Icon!! Yes it's more expensive than the ZRa I was looking at but it still comes out cheaper than buying ANYTHING in the UK (can you believe I can get an Icon in the States for less than I can get a Quickie GT in the UK?! It's crazy). I've done my calculations and it looks as though I'll be able to confirm and put the order in by about November (maybe December) - Yes it's a bit of a wait but well worth it from the feedback I've been getting here.

    In all honesty, I almost felt as though I didn't 'deserve' a chair as good as that. As some of you might know, I have Cerebral Palsy and so I walk short distances but then, today I thought about it and realised that I still spend 5-7 hours in a chair, at least 5 days a week and surely we all deserve to be comfortable, using a chair that really works. So I put aside all those silly thoughts and I'm going to go for it...Very excited!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Icon or ZRa? HELP!
    By PhoenixFiresky in forum Equipment
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 09:12 PM
  2. icon.
    By JeffAdams in forum Equipment
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 01:21 PM
  3. Small dog found us, we found her home :)
    By betheny in forum Life
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 06:42 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 07:04 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •