Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Icon A1 Six Months In - How have you found it?

Icon A1 Six Months In - How have you found it?

Hey guys

So unless I'm completely wrong and haven't read the other threads correctly, I thought it might be fun to get impressions of the A1 from current users after a good few months with the chair. I say this because while I adore the concept of the A1, I like others, worry about the long term reliability of a chair with so much adjustability built in.

Apologies if there's a similar thread out there. I thought it would be good to have the discussion in one place. Can't wait to hear what's said

I haven't got mine yet, should be soon. What I am hearing from current Icon users is that the adjustments are rock solid, not coming loose at all. I was very suspicious of all those parts but when I saw the chair in person I totally changed my mind. I also took the chair out for a little while and it just feels perfectly solid. I'll be getting another demo this week and then hopefully getting my Icon very soon after and I'll be talking about it plenty.

I'm a very skeptical person, a real critical eye. My first experience with the Icon blew away all my concerns and left me giddy to get one. They really did it right. The problem is that we (in general) are used to chairs that give us problems and figure that's they way it's going to be. I don't know for sure yet but I think the Icon is going to change this. You just have to see the parts up close, the chair up close. It's not like anything else.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I've been using mine everyday since after Xmas. It's held up fine and the only thing that I have had to tighten are the locks on he tube for the seat height adjustment. Probably from the beating of my chair being slammed on the ground all the time when getting in and out of my SUV. I've even found that I've got it so well balanced, that I can get around without using my freewheel as much off pavement.

Man...I am TEMPTED!! Yes, it's a lot of money but for the long term possibilities, if everything remains solid, I cannot deny a compelling claim

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by ipenguin View Post
    Man...I am TEMPTED!! Yes, it's a lot of money but for the long term possibilities, if everything remains solid, I cannot deny a compelling claim
    It would make your sizing much easier for your new chair

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    It would make your sizing much easier for your new chair
    It really would and I've come to the realisation that balance and proper set up of a chair is ultimately much more important than pure weight savings. So the idea of being able to make such precise set up adjustments, even as your body/condition alters, is very exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by ipenguin View Post
    It really would and I've come to the realisation that balance and proper set up of a chair is ultimately much more important than pure weight savings. So the idea of being able to make such precise set up adjustments, even as your body/condition alters, is very exciting.
    That's exactly what I've been thinking and am excited about.

Been using one for 4 months and this chair kicks ass. Had one piece break most likely a defect in material. Sent out an email on Tuesday at 8:00 PM had the replacement part at my door Thursday at 8:40 AM. What other manufacture is going to provide that kind of service? Probably none. Very thankful for that as it was painful sitting in my old chair again. Still don't know how I sat in it for 10 years. Been spoiled sitting in the Icon. Never been more comfortable in a chair. Being able to make those micro adjustments until the chair fits you outweighs the cost. Can't put a price on comfort especially when you're in it for the majority of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by juggular View Post
    Been using one for 4 months and this chair kicks ass. Had one piece break most likely a defect in material. Sent out an email on Tuesday at 8:00 PM had the replacement part at my door Thursday at 8:40 AM. What other manufacture is going to provide that kind of service? Probably none. Very thankful for that as it was painful sitting in my old chair again. Still don't know how I sat in it for 10 years. Been spoiled sitting in the Icon. Never been more comfortable in a chair. Being able to make those micro adjustments until the chair fits you outweighs the cost. Can't put a price on comfort especially when you're in it for the majority of the day.
    What part broke? I'm getting my Icon soon and I'm very curious.

We've seen a couple of situations where the central back tube cracked - they were both in the same configuration, and it seems to be caused either by a combination of seat width, seat angle, and fairly aggressive riders, or with some flaw in the material, but we're going to beef up the part regardless - it will "neck" a bit less, with a negligible weight hit (30g).

We ran specific FEA on that part in the particular configurations, and making it a bit beefier seems to look like it will fix it.

We'll replace any parts that break, and try to trouble shoot people who may be duplicating the problem so that we can swap out the parts proactively.
    Last edited by JeffAdams; 04-25-2012 at 01:57 AM.