Thread: Statin Induced Neuropthy

Statin Induced Neuropthy

There is a web site, hosted by an ex-astronaut, Dr. Duane Graveline, who discusses the similiarities between adverse reaction to statins and symptoms of things like MS.

http://www.spacedoc.com/neuropathy_statins.htm

When I first exhibted spasticity four years ago, I wondered if the relatively high doses of Pravacol I was taking could be related. When my current PCP switched me to Crestor, and I immediately collasped for 3 days, I decided to switch to Naicin (1000mg, twice a day). Since then, I have had no "classic" MS-like relaspes...only an occasional psuedo-exaccerbation.

I now begin to wonder if my cholesteral numbers are out of wack (hdl-120, ldl-65) and, as Dr. Graveline implies, cholesteral is actually a requirement for keeping the myelin sheath healthy.

Comments?

That question is being asked by many people within the MS community. It makes intuitive sense that certain types of dietary fat would support healthy myelin (a fatty tissue), but - as usual - research is suggestive but inconclusive at this point. I pretty much despair of getting direct, uncomplicated answers to questions about why myelin breaks down, and how to halt the process - especially since the cause(s) of MS are so poorly understood. I agree with what you have stated in other posts, i.e. that MS is probably not a single, straightforward disease entity. Do you take supplemental Co-Q10 along with your niacin? It might (might! ) help.

I took coq10 for about 6 months...didn't seem to have any effect. When I listed it on my list of meds for my new internist, he kind of snorted. I've got an appointment with him on thurs, so we'll talk about it again.