Thread: hard drive performance

hard drive performance

Greetings. I just purchased a NAS device that I will be using as a media server. It came with 4 400 gb drives. Wanting more storage, I found someone whoo will sell me 4 2tb Seagate barracudas for $80 each - seemed like an awesome deal.

The only potential glitch is that the drives are 5900 rpm rather than 7200 rpm. Do you think this will produce a noticeable difference in performance, specifically with respect to streaming music and video?

Thanks,

Dave

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Is the NAS mounted as JBOD or RAID5? Either way your read performance will slower but you shouldn't have a problem with streaming music or video. I would also check the specs of the NAS box you have, it may not recognize an 8TB JBOD setup.

Yeah ill be running in raid 5

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

sometimes the slower speeds, like the 4800rpms actually last longer and seems to be more reliable
    thats just my own opinion
    I also quit the baracudas back in the 1990s after our computers at work started crashing with them one by one, i only get wd's now
    but imho
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

5400rpm drives can easily keep up with your network.

I have just a 1-Gb network and my media server has 8 2TB drives (WD greens) in a RAID 6 configuration. I can stream to my computer, HTPC and two WD LiveTV movie boxes with no issues..
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

I would go with slower drives in a nas.

Personally, I would not buy a seagate drive. They seem to have a quality control issue, plus now only coming with a 1 year warranty makes me worry (looks like the 5900rpm might have a 2).

Also, $80 no real savings for a used drive. Prices have finally started to come back down from the post-flood hysteria. I just bought a new 2TB Samsung for $100 from Newegg. It had the lowest % of 1 egg reviews of all 2TB eco drives. Those are usually DOA or failed in a short time.
    Unfortunately that model is now basically a Seagate with a tiny Samsung logo and part number on the label but I'm hopeful. I haven't actually had a problem with any of my Seagate drives in the past.

And on a related note, I think the SSD manufacturers have taken notice of falling spinny disk prices and are slashing as well. I just order a SanDisk Extreme 240GB for $180.

Edit - Hmm, maybe not on the SSDs. I checked again today and that model is back to $234. May have been an another Amazon targeted deal based on my recent browsing history. I hadn't seen any 240GB SSD under $200 before that. Not the first time I've had super low offers from Amazon that are gone the next time you log in.
    Last edited by MSspouse; 06-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Is the NAS mounted as JBOD or RAID5? Either way your read performance will slower but you shouldn't have a problem with streaming music or video. I would also check the specs of the NAS box you have, it may not recognize an 8TB JBOD setup.
    ^ ^ ^ I totally agree with quote. Sound older NAS boxes won't support large drives like that.
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Also, on the caveat theme, what purpose is this NAS fulfilling?

If it's just you making single access to your box there is absolutely no problem with the 5.4

BUT

If this drive will be used by a bunch of people at the same time to simultaneously stream movies and music and games you will get hiccups.

Quote Originally Posted by crppled007 View Post
    ^ ^ ^ I totally agree with quote. Sound older NAS boxes won't support large drives like that.
    ______
    Awe at my magnificent coq!