Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bladder Botox == Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Does anyone know if Medicare pays for botox for SCI/neurogenic bladder?
    I would think so. Botox was approved by the FDA last August for the treatment of urinary incontinence.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm269509.htm

Yes, it should but as mentioned it is newish for Medicare and insurance companies. Of course you have to have urodynamics etc.. Find a Urologist who does it but should have (SCI) urologist who does this.
    It works very very well in most people and lasts 6-12 months for most.
    Every now and then someone says it just didn't help but....
    Can be done as outpatient also. After injection kicks in in about 7 days or so. Can't be getting or it has to be coordinated if you are getting any type of Botox for spasticity.

CWO

I wonder if i could use botox and i just use condom caths?

Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    I wonder if i could use botox and i just use condom caths?
    Umm, no. The rationale behind getting Botox injections is that it promotes urinary retention by shutting down (paralyzing) the smooth muscle (Detrusor) of the bladder. The only way to empty the bladder, then, is by catheterization. If the procedure is effective -- and it's been a home run for me -- is that you won't leak (or gush) anymore. And how liberating is that!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Umm, no. The rationale behind getting Botox injections is that it promotes urinary retention by shutting down (paralyzing) the smooth muscle (Detrusor) of the bladder. The only way to empty the bladder, then, is by catheterization. If the procedure is effective -- and it's been a home run for me -- is that you won't leak (or gush) anymore. And how liberating is that!

id like to try it but i use a condum at night and i really put out a lot of urine sometimes filling the bed bag even if i watch my fluid intake thats whats kept me from doin botox is were is all that urine gonna go at night
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    id like to try it but i use a condum at night and i really put out a lot of urine sometimes filling the bed bag even if i watch my fluid intake thats whats kept me from doin botox is were is all that urine gonna go at night
    You're more likely to leak than have reflux, if that's your concern. And it's quite possible that your bladder capacity would improve as a result of the Botox allowing you to hold more urine than you're currently able to without leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    You're more likely to leak than have reflux, if that's your concern. And it's quite possible that your bladder capacity would improve as a result of the Botox allowing you to hold more urine than you're currently able to without leaking.

thanks for the answer that was my concern
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I do try to limit my liquid intake at night after about 8 or 9pm so I don't get too terribly much in my bladder. But I have had a morning where I cathed out 1100cc and didn't leak at all with the bladder botox.

I had a botox shot a couple years ago. I had anesthesia but my urologist told me the anesthesia was not enough so I started to develop AD, so they increased the anesthesia and therefore they had to make an intubation... was this necesary?? Botox is a marvel, it completely stops leaking... but that experience was so awful I dont wanna repeat it....

Quote Originally Posted by C5C6 View Post
    I had a botox shot a couple years ago. I had anesthesia but my urologist told me the anesthesia was not enough so I started to develop AD, so they increased the anesthesia and therefore they had to make an intubation... was this necesary?? Botox is a marvel, it completely stops leaking... but that experience was so awful I dont wanna repeat it....
    There's really no way for anyone to offer a medically informed comment regarding whether or are not you required intubation during your procedure. We weren't there and don't know the particulars of the situation. I require anesthesia to prevent against AD when having this procedure done, but it's always administered by IV.