Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Young was invited to give distinguished lectures in HK

Dr. Young was invited to give distinguished lectures in HK

The Chinese University of Hong Kong had cordially invited Dr. Wise Young as the guest of honor to present three different lectures at their 40th Anniversary Distinguished Lecture as follows:-

1.On 5th December, 2003 Friday
    3:00-3:45pm OEG Cell Transplant Therapy for SCI
    5:30-6:45pm The Bases Hope in Spinal Cord Injury Research
    (Life broadcasted via the Chinese University website by Radio & Television of Hong Kong)

2.On 6th December, 2003 Saturday
    10:30-11:30am Cell Transplant Therapy for SCI

At this Annual Scientific Meeting of the Clinical Neuroscience Group of the Chinese University of HK, several other speakers were also invited to give lectures from other parts of the world, the U.S., England, Canada, Singapore, Lyon etc..

My son, Richard, and I had the honor to attend the lectures on Friday. The lectures were brilliantly delivered by Dr. Young in the most efficient and constructive manner to the medical society of Hong Kong. This time I have learned so well how OEG works with the axons in the spinal cord in humans.

The following are the contents of the brochure distributed at the meeting:-

Lecture Synopsis
    The Bases for Hope in Spinal Cord Injury Research

In the past seven years, the field of spinal cord injury research has transformed from one of pessimism to hope. Two deeply entrenched dogmas concerning the central nervous system have been overturned. In 1996, most scientists thought that no new neurons are born in the adult central nervous system. We now know that neuropoiesis occurs in adult brain and spinal cord. Likewise, most scientists did not think that the spinal cord can regenerate. Many therapies have been shown to regenerate spinal cords of animals. The first generation of clinical trials have begun to assess regenerative and remyelinative therapies for chronic spinal cord injury. Second generation therapies are being planned for clinical trial. Restorative therapies are not limited to just regenerative and remyelinative therapies. Advances in surgery, rehabilitation, and medicine have revolutionized clinical treatment of spinal cord injury. These advances will be summarized along with current and planned clinical trials.

Biographical Sketch

Professor Wise Young, founding director of the W.M. Keck Centre for Collaborative Neuroscience and a professor at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is recognized as one of the world's outstanding and compassionate neuroscientists. He obtained a bachelor of arts degree from Reed College, a doctorate from the University of Iowa and a medical degree from Stanford University. After a surgery internship at New York University and Bellevue Medical Centre, he joined the neurosurgery department at NYU. In 1984, he became director of neurosurgery research. In 1977, as part of Rutgers' commitment to the future, Professor Young was recruited to establish and direct a world-class centre for collaborative neuroscience.

Professor Young was part of the team that discovered and established high-dose methylprednisolone (MP) as the first effective therapy for spinal cord injuries. This 1990 work upended concepts that spinal cord injuries were permanent, refocused research, and opened new vistas of hope. This team also played a major role in Andy Blight's signal work on 4-aminopyridine (4-AP), which shows significant promise for increasing nerve conductivity.

Professor Young developed the first standardized rat spinal cord injury model used worldwide for testing therapies, formed the first consortium funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to test promising therapies, and helped establish several widely accepted clinical outcome measures in spinal cord injury research.

Professor Young founded and served as editor-in-chief of the Journal of Neurotrauma. He organized the National and International Neurotrauma Societies as forums for scientists to share discoveries and collaborate on spinal cord injury and brain research. He serves or has served on advisory committees for the NIH, the National Academy of Sciences, and NICHD, and has served on advisory boards for many spinal cord injury organizations.

Well-known as a leader in spinal cord injury research, Professor Young has appeared on "20/20" with Barbara Walters and Christopher Reeve, "48 Hours", "Today", "Eye-to-Eye", Fox News and CNN's news magazine with Jeff Greenfield. His work has been featured in a Life magazine special edition, in USA Today, and in innumerable other news, talk and print presentations throughout the world. His honors include the NIH Jacob Javits Neuroscience Award (1985-1992), Wakeman Award (1991), Tall Texan of the Year Award (1997), the "Cure" Award (1998), the Trustees Award for Excellence in Research (2001), the 2002 Asian American Achievement Award, and the Douglass Medal in 2003 for his work with the advancement of young women in the sciences. In August 2001, TIME Magazine named Professor Young 'America's Best' in the field of spinal cord injury research.

The End

Since some of the information contained above is new to me, I believe some of the members on board may also be interested to know.

Suzanne

[This message was edited by Suzanne Poon on 12-07-03 at 10:29 PM.]

Thank you very much, Suzanne. Dr. Young mentioned that a lecture of his was broadcast over the internet. Do you know if it's still available online? If so, would you mind sharing the address of the website?

Thanks again.

Dr. Young I just want to say that you are the MAN! Thank god for you...you are great.

Thanks again Suzanne!

Until another researcher offers to share his precious time and resources with the community he seeks to serve to the degree that Dr. Young has, we should all be humbled by the poor treatment he is given by certain members of our community. Unfortunately, I have never had the honor of meeting a researcher/physician who is as dedicated and generous as Dr. Young.

thanks suzane, i'm always talking to anyone that will listen to me about the dedication of dr young. i had no idea of all the awards he'd been given over the years i only know that until i found this site and dr young i believed that this hell called sci was felt only by the unfortunate that are injuried. dr young has shown me how someone other than the injuried can really care. dr young we love you. gloria

Dr. Young and everyone, sorry for not being a good reporter, please feel free to make any amendments, adjustments and additions to this report.

CJO, The lecture at 5:30pm on Friday was life broadcasted via the Chinese University website by the Radio & Television of Hong Kong (RTHK). Now I am awaiting for their reply as to the address of the new website.

Suzanne

Dido, Dr. Young you are the man!!!

Suzanne, thanks for posting this. Thank you for the compliments, everybody. For talks such as this, they like to parade the credentials of invited speakers. It is a little embarassing because all the awards really don't mean all that much. One of the awards that I am proud of, however, is the "Tall Texan of the Year". When I told my Texas friends that I am neither tall nor Texan, they said that they would fix it. They did by giving me cowboy boots, a tall Texan hat, and a really Tall Texan Tale that made me blush.

I just read the blurb and realized that they (or perhaps my office) made a mistake in the information that was provided. I moved to Rutgers in 1997, not 1977. I have been at Rutgers for only 6 years, coming up on my 7th. Wise.

Dr. Young, lol Suzanne

This is the address of the website:

http://www.rthk.org.hk/elearning/cu_.../lecture06.htm

Chinese University of Hong Kong is currently editing the broadcast and will soon be ready at:

http://www.cuhk.edu.hk:8080/40thanni...g5/whatnew.php