Thread: I love something like this!

Thumbs up I love something like this!

I love something like this!

Nerve rewiring gives hope to badly injured

COMPUTER-MADE implants that help nerves rewire themselves could improve the chances of restoring movement and sensation in severely injured limbs.
    The "nerve guidance conduits" were produced by British and German engineers with a laser technique normally used to "write" complex electrical circuits.

Made from a form of biodegradable plastic, they guide regrowing nerve fibres through individual channels to aid recovery. Once the nerves are fully regrown and reconnected, the device dissolves away.

"When nerves in the arms or legs are injured they have the ability to regrow, unlike in the spinal cord. However, they need assistance to do this," said bioengineer Professor John Haycock, from the University of Sheffield.

more...
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/w...-1226336620456
    Last edited by manouli; 04-23-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: better link

Study describes new method to manufacture nerve guidance conduits
    Published on April 23, 2012 at 12:10 AM ยท No Comments

inShare2

Engineers at the University of Sheffield have developed a method of assisting nerves damaged by traumatic accidents to repair naturally, which could improve the chances of restoring sensation and movement in injured limbs.

In a collaborative study with Laser Zentrum Hannover (Germany) published today (23 April 2012) in the journal Biofabrication, the team describes a new method for making medical devices called nerve guidance conduits or NGCs.

The method is based on laser direct writing, which enables the fabrication of complex structures from computer files via the use of CAD/CAM (computer aided design/manufacturing), and has allowed the research team to manufacture NGCs with designs that are far more advanced than previously possible.

more...

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...-conduits.aspx

If this can give function soon then we will surely not look for other therapies which are years away. Dont know when human trials will start with this implant and whether bladder bowel recovery can be possible or not?

sorry second one opens up first didn't
    Last edited by keeping on; 04-23-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Love this! So many good things happening!

I agree, Mombo. Thanks for posting, Manouli.
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.