Thread: Training by Christopher Reeve

Training by Christopher Reeve

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/reeve.html

"Activity-Based Recovery

Five years after his injury, Reeve began the Activity-Based Recovery program. This rehabilitative approach is based on the theory that "patterned neural activity might stimulate the central nervous system to become more functional as it does during development" (McDonald, et. al., 2002). Reeve's program consisted largely of training on a functional electrical stimulation (FES) bicycle and aqua therapy.

Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES)

FES involves a specially-designed recumbent bicycle system that uses computer-controlled electrodes placed on a patient's legs to stimulate the leg muscles in specific patterns. Using this technology, a paralyzed person, despite the fact that he is unable to voluntarily control his leg muscles, can rotate the bicycle pedals. In his exercise program, Reeve used the FES bicycle one hour per day three times per week. This activity provided the basic benefits of a physical exercise -- building muscle mass and bone density, reducing spasticity -- and a cardiovascular workout (Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, 2002).

Aqua Therapy

Aqua therapy is a type of physical therapy performed in the water. Once muscle recovery had been stimulated through the use of the FES bicycle, aqua therapy was added to Reeve's exercise program for one hour per week. The aqua therapy focused on those muscle groups for which voluntary control had been recovered during the activity-based recovery program. The aqua therapy not only enhances the workout of these muscles, but because the effects of gravity are greatly reduced in water, small body movements can be more easily detected. This increased ability to detect small body movements enabled researchers to study Reeve's recovery more easily and to distinguish deliberate movement from movement caused by gravit more readily."

Who tried the above before? What is the outcome on you?
    But i don't understand the bicycle training Were the feet tightened on the pedals somehow? Was there motor to operate the cycling? Otherwise --!!?
    And in aqua therapy, what is the activity in the water? Just submerged in the water, doing nothing?
    Last edited by Dirly Idol; 04-23-2012 at 04:31 AM.

http://www.restorative-therapies.com/

Your feet are strapped in with a velcro device onto the pedal. The computer/motor can help your legs cycle. The first few times your legs cycle on their own they will fatigue fast. The computer kicks in as needed or for warm-up etc.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Is cycling operated by motor? Or by the cycler?
    If the person doesn't cycle, can the pedals and wheels move/swing?

By electricty through pads placed on the legs .. so it isn't your brain that is telling your legs to contract their muscles .. it's an outside electronic device within the bicycle itself. Electricity passed through the leg muscles will make them contract through specialized devices, like this bike, only created for this purpose. FES = functional electrical stimulation

Very expensive.

Do NOT try it on your own with just any electrical source or you will electrocute yourself and possibly die.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Any other manufacture/supplier?
    If Lynniffer is correct, it is quite amazing to me. Amazing product. Can the stimulation be so powerful and amazing to trigger cycling?
    November, pls confirm.
    Can the computer ask the wheel to swing?
    Last edited by Dirly Idol; 04-24-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Dirly

I believe there are only 2 manufacturers of Functional Electrical Stimulation bicycles in the world at the moment. Restorative Therapies http://www.restorative-therapies.com/ and MotoMed http://www.motomed.com/. The Ergys bike that CR used is no longer manufactured.

If you are not a lower motor neuron injury (IMO this is debatable, I have seen LMN injuries get contractions after using the bike for a period of time) the electrical stimulation can cause the muscles of the leg to contract and drive the pedals. If your muscles are not strong enough or become fatigued a motor can kick in to assist with pedal rotation.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Dirly Idol View Post
    Any other manufacture/supplier?
    If Lynniffer is correct, it is quite amazing to me. Amazing product. Can the stimulation be so powerful and amazing to trigger cycling?
    November, pls confirm.
    Can the computer ask the wheel to swing?
    Yes, I've used the bike with only the pads/electrical stimulation making my legs pedal. The computer/motor was not assisting until it was needed.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post

If you are not a lower motor neuron injury (IMO this is debatable, I have seen LMN injuries get contractions after using the bike for a period of time) the electrical stimulation can cause the muscles of the leg to contract and drive the pedals. If your muscles are not strong enough or become fatigued a motor can kick in to assist with pedal rotation.
    I am a T11-12 and my first few months using an FES bike I did not get any noticeable contractions on my legs (quad, ham, ant. tib). After a while, I noticed my right quad starting to fire. It was a very weak twitch that could be felt by the hand, but you could not see it contract. Now 9 months later, it fires great. My hamstrings fire on both legs now as well as my anterior tibs. However, I still do not have my left quad firing that I can tell.