Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pedestrian bridge hard to push chair

Thank You everyone. I probably will use that bridge as exercise and use it to increase my endurance. My left shoulder has been giving me some trouble lately so I need to talk to my rehab doctor at RHI.

I talked to a friend from RHI she told me that she got magic wheels installed on her chair for a similar situtation.

RHI is Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana
    Last edited by novanoin; 04-27-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Solid advice from "Chick." Take care of your shoulders...they need to last a looooong time!!!! Don't go all macho at the risk of damaging your shoulder's permanently.

All the best,
    GJ

That bridge does look steeper than ADA regulations for exterior routes. I'd measure the grade & use that data to have the school help find another way for you to manage things as independently as if the bridge were flat. Agreed w/ chick; don't overlook midwest incliment weather. Rain & snow will make traversing that significantly more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by novanoin View Post
    I probably will use that bridge as exercise and use it to increase my endurance.
    Awesome. Fantastic. Good for you. You can always find another solution if you discover the bridge is really, actually, waaaay too much for you to handle. But this is the right way to start.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Agreed w/ chick; don't overlook midwest incliment weather. Rain & snow will make traversing that significantly more difficult.
    Yes, be sure to be in touch with your school's facilities maintenence department and let them know which path you take and that it's a 'high priroity' to be cleared of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Take care of your shoulders...they need to last a looooong time!!!! Don't go all macho at the risk of damaging your shoulder's permanently.
    GJ and I always go back and forth a bit about this and while it is important to take care of your joints, I believe that strong, healthy shoulders that get exercise every day will last longer than more delicate shoulders that have been treated with kid gloves their whole lives.

Yes, it's important to take it easy and build up your strength and not try to get over the whole bridge on your first or even 20th try. Maybe even do the bridge only 2 or 3 times a week to start and take a bus or shuttle on off days. Take your time; Rome wasn't built in a day. But once you do, knowing that you are now able to get up what once was "the steepest thing I have ever tried" will give you a lot of confidence to take on whatever else life throws at you.

on weather... south bend gets lake effect weather (lots of snow) from the great lakes. I live like five minutes from michigan. Any ideas on tires with lots of snow? I've been wanting to go to the beach and I've never tried sand so that is going to be an interesting adventure.

Reminds me of my freshman year - had to wheel about 5 blocks from dorm to class in all kinds of weather. It soon became routine. It seems you will build up more strength, but hope you bring this to the attention of disabled students office. It may help others in same situation.
    Your comment that VR requires you to live at dorm? You might be surprised at what can happen when you schedule a meeting with the counselor's supervisor to discuss the matter in depth. Include them in planning a solution - other kinds of issues can come up again, and you are in charge.
    Very best to you!