Thread: Bloating/drinking through a straw

Bloating/drinking through a straw

As a C4/5 quad, I have to drink through a straw. I have excessive bloating and trapped gas which I'm sure is due in large part to drinking with a straw. As much as I hate to ask, would a sippy cup type cup (at least while at home) cause less air to be swallowed?

I'm using a straw to drink for the last 13 years and don't have an issue with bloating. What makes you think its the straw?

Is this gas in your stomach, or in your bowel? A good physical exam or Xray can determine this. If in your stomach, it may be due to air swallowing with a straw, and a sippy cup may be somewhat helpful. Simethecone tablets may also help. If in your bowel, then it is not likely to be due to straw use.

(KLD)

A lot of the literature on colostomies states that drinking through a straw introduces excess air into your system.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Is this gas in your stomach, or in your bowel? A good physical exam or Xray can determine this. If in your stomach, it may be due to air swallowing with a straw, and a sippy cup may be somewhat helpful. Simethecone tablets may also help. If in your bowel, then it is not likely to be due to straw use.

(KLD)
    I'm not sure the answer to that. I do know that after I do my bowel program at night, my stomach is relatively flat. I only drink water before going to sleep after my bp, but when I wake up, I'm bloated.

I actually get more air in when drinking WITHOUT a straw, and I'm sipping directly from a cup.

Another member (ScottS) had similar with swallowing air and painful distention/bloating, which he posted much about - see this thread for one. You can do a search for his name with keywords and get more results.

I'm always bloated. I do drink from a straw. Gas-X doesn't help.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I drink through a straw for about 30% of the water I drink (at night when I am in bed). I don't have excessive gas/bloating from that. During the day, I drink from a cup that has a large U-shaped handle that I can hook a thumb through. Have you tried a Camelback 24 ounce Better Bottle? Cooler than a sippy cup by a lot!!!
    (Picture below)
    http://www.rei.com/product/776892/ca...ottle-25-fl-oz

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    This is a combined topic question about swallowing difficulties and bloatedness/gassiness.

I did not have swallowing problems directly after my injury. I had no trouble taking all of my pills at once and could eat my meals quickly without a lot of need of liquids while doing so. A few years later, I was eating a twinkie and got choked so bad that the heimlich maneuver had to be done. I don't know if it was fear or some damage done, but afterwards I had had much trouble swallowing. I actually lost about 15-25 pounds (which wasn't a bad thing at the time) because I could barely swallow anything without a lot of water with it. It took me about three months before it got better, but even after about 20 years I still have some swallowing problems with certain food consistencies and only take 1 pill at a time. I also think that the combination of drinking through a straw makes my bloatedness and bowel gassiyness even worse. I had a therapist do a few swallowing tests shortly after my choking, but nothing was diagnosed as I wasn't exactly cooperative with trying to swallow something when I felt as though I would choke again. I feel that my bloating is a bigger source of displeasure than my swallowing problem is but if I could solve both, that would be a true blessing. What if anything can be done for panicky swallowing after so long and what exactly does the Simethecone tablets do? Also, if one has gas/air in the stomach and it is not all expelled by belching, does that air not travel into the bowel and find its way out the other end?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I drink through a straw for about 30% of the water I drink (at night when I am in bed). I don't have excessive gas/bloating from that. During the day, I drink from a cup that has a large U-shaped handle that I can hook a thumb through. Have you tried a Camelback 24 ounce Better Bottle? Cooler than a sippy cup by a lot!!!
    (Picture below)
    http://www.rei.com/product/776892/ca...ottle-25-fl-oz

All the best,
    GJ
    These look great, but when I went on Amazon, it appears they all use straws