Thread: Yet another handcycle question

Yet another handcycle question

hi all - i have another handcycle question for all you experts. i am almost 25 years post sci and am at a c5-6 level but function more like c6-7. about 15 years ago i got a handcycle (i believe it was a quickie). i didn't use it a whole lot because the seating was awkward and i had a hard time going any significant distances. i see that handcycles have come a long way in design. now with my 2 5 year olds riding i'm itching to try it again. i am so overwhelmed by what is out there now. can someone please help guide me to what i should be looking at? what exactly is a power pod and what does it do? any one know of anywhere near washington dc where i could try some out? any and all help is greatly appreciated. thanks!!

was this the upright quickie cycle? Guessing from how long ago you got it my guess is that it is. Do you still have it? Do you mostly want to cycle with your kids? Do you want do more than that? The power pod attaches to your cycle and gives you a power assist when you need it. You would have to talk with the maker, Mark in Atlanta I think and see how it would perform with an upright, the weight of the bike and all. I guess I am thinking that depending on what you want to accomplish if you still have the quickie you may just want to buy a power pod and attach that to you existing handcuffs

it is an upright but i am wondering if the newer versions might be easier to use. my main goal is cycling with the kids. not doing any major off roading or things like that. i do still have it but am not opposed to buying something newer if you thought i might like it better.

Hello Sabmother,
    My name is Mark and I am the person being referred to above as the inventor of the Power Pod.
    Having read your post, my feeling is that once you attach a Power Pod to your existing handcycle, you might be quite happy with the new performance and not actually see the need to purchase a newer handcycle. And if you did not like the Pod you can return it for a full refund with no questions asked.

Anyway, if you think you might like to know a little bit more about the power attachment then shoot me a pm and I can answer any questions you might have. Or go to the website and watch some of the videos www.roadracepowerpod.com
    Also, I would want to see a photo of your existing handcycle to just make sure the Pod would mount up with no issues.

In any case, good luck with whatever route you choose - cycling is about the best sport out there for people such as ourselves, and I love it
    Mark