Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: How am I sitting? - Thoughts & Ideas for new chair :)

  1. #1

    How am I sitting? - Thoughts & Ideas for new chair :)

    So this is me in the GPV - My legs look ok there but when I'm out and about they tend to pull forward.

    I would love some general thoughts on how I'm sitting in the chair so when I go for the new one I'll know what to keep and what to change.

    Btw, what do you think the frame angle is?

    p.s. I was talking at the time, hence the odd face I'm pulling.

    Oh and I switched the footrest round to try and catch my feet. It works ok but there's nowhere to rest my heels which is a bit of a problem.

    The more info the better, thank you

  2. #2
    Here is an on line training program from The Institute for Rehabilitation Research and Development (IRRD) at The Rehabilitation Centre (Ottawa) that addresses a lot of questions you may have about wheelchair posture and positioning, but didn't know where to look.

    http://www.irrd.ca/education/present...p?refname=e1b1

    All the best,
    GJ

  3. #3
    Your frame angle appears to be 75 degrees. Did you try looking up your serial # from that link I gave you? You appear to be sitting quite high in the rear. It sounds like an angle adjustable footrest would help you.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Your frame angle appears to be 75 degrees. Did you try looking up your serial # from that link I gave you? You appear to be sitting quite high in the rear. It sounds like an angle adjustable footrest would help you.
    It didn't work last time I tried it but I've emailed them directly. Don't know if they'll get back to me.

    I decided to post because I've been asking a lot of questions but it must be hard to answer some of them without seeing me in the chair

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ipenguin View Post
    It didn't work last time I tried it but I've emailed them directly. Don't know if they'll get back to me.

    I decided to post because I've been asking a lot of questions but it must be hard to answer some of them without seeing me in the chair
    As they say, a picture is worth....
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

  6. #6
    What's most obvious to me is your rear seat height appears too high. For optimal propulsion, the tips of your gently extended middle fingers should be touching your axle button. Your fingers aren't extended in the pic, but I'm guessing your an inch or more too high.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    What's most obvious to me is your rear seat height appears too high. For optimal propulsion, the tips of your gently extended middle fingers should be touching your axle button. Your fingers aren't extended in the pic, but I'm guessing your an inch or more too high.
    Not only that, that cog is making him loosing effiency in each push.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Not only that, that cog is making him loosing effiency in each push.
    I have to say, it's like a mule to push most of the time. I was so new to chairs when I got this that I went super conservative to keep it stable but the downside is a pretty heavy chair feeling a whole lot heavier due to setup. So far, you guys have confirmed what I was thinking. I want to bring the rsh down about an inch (changing the back angle to compensate) and bring the cog forward. The rsh drop will compromise posture a tiny bit but on balance, a small price to pay as I've always felt too high in the chair. After that I'm going to focus on getting the footrest situation sorted.

    If I can get this thing dialled in, it will give me the breathing space I need to save for something like a Zra/Q7 in the future.

    In truth, there are many things to love about this chair...You can throw it around and it just takes it so I think with some tweaks here and there it will serve me well for another year or so.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA - Kansas
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    As they say, a picture is worth....
    Peter Parker

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by zwthomp View Post
    Peter Parker
    picked a peck of...
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 02:30 AM
  2. Pressure points on butt when sitting in chair
    By doingtimeonmyass in forum Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 03:59 PM
  3. Bottom hurting sitting in chair?
    By Mona~on~wheels in forum Pain
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 03:12 PM
  4. Can you feel your bottom sitting in your chair?
    By Mona~on~wheels in forum Care
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 08:53 PM
  5. sitting straight in chair
    By maryonwheels46 in forum Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 10:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •