Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting folding chair into SUV

Lifting folding chair into SUV

Hi everyone, I am looking at getting a car and need some ideas. Let me give you some background about me. This is my first car, I am a t8 para, have a tilite folding chair and I am looking into suv/sedans. I am not looking into a minivan. So far, I have looked at the Honda CRV, Honda Accord, Kia Sorrento, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I do not have a problem transferring into/out of an SUV, but I am trying to think of getting my wheelchair into the SUV besides taking it apart and lifting it in. I am looking into the chair topper, but does anyone have any ideas on other ways to lift the chair into the SUV? Thanks in advance.

An electric wheelchair hoist would work great for that application.

Could that fit in the backseat?

Quote Originally Posted by xJdinox View Post
    Could that fit in the backseat?
    Most of the ones I've seen mount to the floor. Although I'm sure you could find one to suit your needs.

Here's some I found doing a quick search.
    http://www.desgoslingmobilityltd.co....ge-in-car.html

http://www.randrmobility.com/vehicle...ns/SPEEDY-LIFT

http://www.wheelchairvictoria.com/wh...ifts-for-cars/

http://www.wheelchairliftshop.com/ho...icle-lifts.php

Good Luck on your search, I hope you can find one that works for you.

this is what I use, it's slicker than snot. No fuss, no muss, saves wear and tear on the shoulders, chair, and vehicle interior. My 2007 Mazda5 gets great mileage, but not as good as the 2008+ because they have a 5-spd automatic transmission vs my 4spd.

www.adapt-solutions.ca

A friend of mine has the TMN Robot in her Dodge Durango from MobilityWorks in Chicago Illinois. She has CP and has it paired with a burno turny drivers seat ans MPS handcontrols.

I'm looking into maybe getting the Honda Element X-WAV conversion. It looks so cool and easy to use. I started looking last year after seeing one at the Abilities Expo.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    this is what I use, it's slicker than snot. No fuss, no muss, saves wear and tear on the shoulders, chair, and vehicle interior. My 2007 Mazda5 gets great mileage, but not as good as the 2008+ because they have a 5-spd automatic transmission vs my 4spd.

www.adapt-solutions.ca
    I know a fellow Veteran who has the same set up on a Buick SUV that sits high up off the ground. Only difference on his SUV is the rear door on the drivers side opens to the rear of his SUV and instead of a platform along side the drivers seat his is a mini lift he sits on to get in/out of the drivers seat and in/out of his rigid frame TiSport wheelchair.

Tooley, the only downside about the 5, is that it doesn't have power driver seats. It's a pain in the neck to keep on pulling the seat forward and back. RAFS, I think I saw a video of him on Youtube getting into a Buick. The only downside is that the suicide doors need to be adjusted every couple of months and it's expensive to adapt the SUV. Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Please keep them coming!

How much do these sorts of products cost? The lifts? Also, has anyone ever heard of medicaid covering these? I've been wondering recently. I've been able to get out of the house so much lately, but I still can't get out very much alone due to loading and unloading my chair. I also hurt my shoulder loading my chair last thursday and its still sore.
    I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder called EDS with neuro complications.

Lin- they vary depending on the lift. I would call vendors around your area and get prices. I am not too sure if Medicare/Medicaid would cover it, but I would check into voc rehab. my friend was able to get her handcontrols and lift in her Mazda 5, covered by them.