Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Activity of implanted stem cells or OEG

JV, What two insurances pay for the Lima procedure. Could you email me at judykerp@yahoo.com, I believe I had yours but have misplaced it. I am in contact with Susan and my sons best friend Cody is with Susan at Sci/step and is very interested in doing the procedure. Thanks

Hello Dr. Young,
    I injuried my spinal cord @ C5/C6 in feb 2003. My wife was 6 months pregnant at the time. We banked our child's umbilical cord blood. He was a perfect match for me. Is this treatment a "good" possibility for a SCI treatment or did we waste our time and money?
    thanks
    David
    Originally posted by Wise Young:

Kotun,

I cannot comment on laserpuncture treatment for spinal cord ischemia because there is little or no credible data suggesting that it would be beneficial.

Dissecting aortic aneurysms and surgical repair of the condition often leads to loss of blood flow to the spinal cord. The ischemia causes variable damage to the spinal cord in the thoracic and lumbosacral spinal cord, particularly to gray matter or neurons in the spinal cord. White matter or axons tend to be spared. Depending on the severity of the ischemia, some people regain touch and position sensations but remain paralyzed and also have deficits in pain and temperature sensation, as well as loss of bowel and bladder function. Because the neurons are damaged, the deficits tend to result in flaccidity (loss of muscle tone) as opposed to spasticity (increased muscle reflexes).

Treatments for ischemic spinal cord damage are of limited benefit at the present because we do not know yet how to replace neurons in the spinal cord. While animal studies now suggest that stem cells can produce neurons in the spinal cord, this research has been hampered in the United States by political restrictions of research on human embryonic and fetal stem cells. While progress is being made in assessing effects of embryonic, fetal, and adult stem cells (from bone marrow) on animal spinal cord injury models in the United States, I believe that human clinical trials in the United States involving embryonic or fetal stem cell transplants are unlikely in the next five years. Such trials, however, are already beginning to take place in China and Russia. Singapore is vying to be a major center of stem cell research and this may lead to human stem cell clinical trials in Southeast Asia.

In the meantime, scientists in the United States are pursuing other avenues of cell replacement therapies:

1. Bone marrow and umbilical cord blood stem cell transplants. This research is just beginning and is showing promise.

2. Drugs that stimulate endogenous stem cell proliferation and differentiation. We know that the adult brain and spinal cord contain stem cells and some drugs will stimulate their growth and proliferation.

3. Growth factors and cells that secrete growth factors. Several growth factors, such as glial-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), the neurotrophins (NGF, BDNF, NT-3), and recent work with sonic hedgehog (SHH) and retinoic acid receptors (RAR) suggest that it is possible to stimulate regeneration in the spinal cord. A special cell called olfactory ensheathing glia (OEG) may have beneficial effects on the spinal cord because this cell seems to secrete many of these factors. OEG cells are already in clinical trial in China (Huang in Beijing).

Wise.

DavidP posted Jan 12, 2004 01:37 AM
    Hello Dr. Young,
    I injuried my spinal cord @ C5/C6 in feb 2003. My wife was 6 months pregnant at the time. We banked our child's umbilical cord blood. He was a perfect match for me. Is this treatment a "good" possibility for a SCI treatment or did we waste our time and money?
    thanks David
    David, since you have saved the cells, you should keep them. They should be a perfect match for your child in the future. At the present, nobody (to my knowledge) has a reliable and efficient method of isolating pluripotent stem cells from umbilical cord blood. While there is much evidence suggesting that umbilical cord blood will provide hematopoietic stem cells that can produce blood cells, there is much less evidence to suggest that they will produce cells that will help repair the spinal cord. On the other hand, they are a good source of cells and I believe that umbilical cord blood will be the raw material from which genetically modified stem cells can be created. Wise.

Dear Wise,

Thank you for the information as posted on the forum.

You're speaking of China, Russia and now entering Singapore in the staging of human clinical trails, do you have contacts there who might be of interest in assisting on our needs? I mean, myself and my father are keen in finding ways to make my father regain any sensation, or in miracle case, walk again, so we're prepare to hear, understand and possibly to try whatever that is available.

Maybe you can introduce us to this Dr. Huang of Beijing or a researcher in Singapore for advice.

You also mentioned drug therapy for stimulating stem cell proliferation and differentiation, do you have a suggested name for this drug?

Are growth factors readily available also? (Or even better are they available in edible forms?)

Regards,
    Kotun

Ko Tun Kwan

Kotun, I answered your question in a new Topic. Wise.