Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a cure for paralysis?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is this a cure for paralysis?

Is this a cure for paralysis?
    by BEEZY MARSH, Daily Mail

femail.co.uk - 1st December 2003

An experiment which has reversed paralysis is being hailed as a major breakthrough for people disabled by neck and back injuries.

In a world-first, scientists have repaired a rat's severed spinal cord using nerve endings from inside its nose.

Neurosurgeons said last night that the UK research offers the best chance yet of a cure for patients such as Superman actor Christopher Reeve, who severed his spinal cord in a fall from a horse.

There is hope that hospital trials, to replicate the work in paralysed patients, will start within the next year to 18 months. The discovery, reported in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, centres on the use of nerve endings in the lining at the top of the nose which give us our sense of smell.

Scientists used these nerve endings, which are the only ones in the body to renew themselves every 30 days, to inject a 'bridge' between the two sides of a severed spinal cord.

Nerve fibres from within the cord - which control movement and breathing - crossed the pathway and began to regrow.

Dr Geoffrey Raisman, neurobiologist from the National Institute for Medical Research in London, said: "This procedure allows spinal nerve fibres to regrow in a way which has not been thought possible."

Initial experiments on the rats found that paralysis, which causes loss of limb movement and an inability to breathe leaving hospital patients reliant on a ventilator, was reversed.

Dr Raisman, who pioneered the spinal cord repair after 30 years of research, said: "Nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord do not replace themselves in the way that skin or bone do.

"The one exception is nerve cells we use for our sense of smell.

"They repair and regrow into the brain every 30 days and we retain our sense of smell throughout our life.

"Within these cells are a special type of 'pathway' cell and it is these which we used in our experiments to build a bridge between two parts of a severed spinal cord."

The study, funded by the Medical Research Council and charitable Norman and Sadie Lee foundation, examined the ability of the rats' nasal nerve cells to repair their partially severed spinal cords.

Dr Raisman added: "I have been working in this direction all my life and I never expected we would get this far.

"We now believe that human trials would be worthwhile."

An estimated 400,000 people in Britain live with a spinal cord injury, which can cause varying degrees of disability.

The worst damage often occurs high up in the neck, as in the case of Christopher Reeve.

Many have suffered falls from horses or motorbikes, or had rugby accidents. They are often young and face the rest of their lives in a wheelchair or on a ventilator.

Neurosurgeon Professor Alan Crockard, of the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in London, said: "One of the terrible tragedies if someone becomes paralysed in this way is that we have to say there is no way they will recover.

"One of the things that has defeated us up to now has been the apparent inability of the brain or spinal cord to repair itself.

"That is why the scientific and clinical community and the National Hospital are convinced this experiment provides for the first time something which may be useful to the injured spinal patient."

Professor Crockard said that the first human experiments were likely to use patients who had lost the use of one or more of their limbs through a partial severance of the spinal cord.

Paul Smith, director of the Spinal Injuries Association, welcomed the findings, but warned patients against setting their hopes too high.

"If this is not a false hope then it would be great news, but we would hate people to think that they are going to get an immediate cure from this," he said.

"It needs properly conducted trials to test safety and efficacy."

b.marsh@dailymail.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find this story at:
    http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standa...in_page_id=169

©2003 Associated New Media

Sounds like OEGs after a brief scan... it could very well be a good first step.

-Steven

Looks to me like another permutation on OEG as well.

The one very promising thing is that this is based out of the UK. The have a very large English speaking population (as Australia) as well as a pretty big SCI population, removing some first-off communications hurdles for many of us. Additionally, they are a significant force within the European Community/European Union (ECC/EU), which now represents almost the same size financial power as the USA. Also, the UK is rather more US friendly than much of the rest of the world at this point and that might also help in the political & lobbyist arena. They are also not Russia, China, or Israel which all have their positives, but also substantial negative sides as well.

So while I generally don't like the English that much, I say ... Bring on "footbal", some bangers, and a nice Warm beer

Getting better & better all the time...
    -- Shawn Stone (T5 incomplete, since 1985)
    -----> "Never Say Die, Up Man and Try!!!"
    -----> .... proverb of unknown origin, but clear meaning to all of us

WOW, great news....no wait, its just oeg again.

Our man, Pecla, has corresponded with Geoffrey Raisman. Raisman is using OEG cultured from mucosa in a hemisection model.

Link

Raisman also collaborates with Li, et al on experiments using OEG cultured from adult brain, I believe. They also use some kind of hemisection model.

Still, looks very promising.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

this is an amazing report,but as we all know ,if you look you will be amazed and encouraged daily when reading press releases from around the world.
    is this for real? does the reporter know anything from what he speaks? from my 10 months of research i have found that the reporter know nothing te, terms are wrong ,results are skewed,is this any different than all other nasal mucosa ,oeg transplants? what is this specific cell that these scientist have seperated? i want to know , we must ask more questions , we can not wait for doctors ,scientist and politicians . what if these people have found something , i want to know now .not in 2 ,5 or ten years
    can we have a fund for researching the research, dr young is the greatest ,but we need to put together some kind of a group that finds out exactly what every lab ,rehab center,physical therapy center, no matgter how distant or remote . if someone is working on SCI or something that is related to the cure of sci we should be able to find out about it together .we should hire two or three scientist to do this work and report to the thousand of sci patients in the world
    i can tell you if we had this ,we would have more answers ,more questions and eventually i their is an answer we will be walking much sooner.
    how are we going to find out exactly what this press release is about? when i call geron corporation ,when they have a release to speak to someone from their scientific research labs is almost impossible. thats rediculous .we have to be more educated about what is happening in the world with SCI.
    thanks for listening to my rambling
    peter j riccio carlricciotrust.com

how are we going to find out exactly what this press release is about?
    Peter, this press release is about Dr. Raisman's plans to initiate human clinical trials using OEG's based on successful studies involving rats.

Here's an earlier article: Rat Healing Raises Hope for Spinal Cure

"we would hate people to think that they are going to get an immediate cure from this,"

musn't have too much hope - that would never do

I used to have Spinal Injury Association news letters in the 1980's - they were so depressing

More rats, enough is enough.

I wish one of these researchers would get some
    b--ls and go to human trials. I have been hereing this hype for twenty four years.