Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edema Management - Wise Young Artilcle

Edema Management - Wise Young Artilcle

Hi Wise or Anyone Else,

I hope that it was real and not my imagination: I had seen an article on edema management - written by Wise Young and in a posting. I remember that the article included recommended interventions (FES, standing, locomotion training, etc.) and referenced research/articles written by others (such as Harkema). I think that it was written for CaseCure and an updated article.

Sorry! I thought that I had copied it or the link to the posting -- but gosh, I didn't. Now, after days of searching, I can't find it.

Does anyone have the link?

I'd appreciate your kind help.

All articles can be found on the home page - http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?page=articles

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry - I just noticed it hasn't been updated since 2006.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thanks, I already looked there, but the article isn't there.

If I remember correctly (and maybe not), it was written expressedlyfor CareCure and not a formally published article.

I think that Wise may be too busy to reply -- but, I wanted to show it to my Dad's doctors and to show that my request for exercise (standing, FES, locomotion training, etc.) is backed by research.

Does anyone remember it?
    Last edited by Joey_SF; 04-20-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: typo

I don't recall this, and cannot find it in a search here. Are you sure it was on this site?

I will ask Dr. Young, but he is traveling and not very available right now.

(KLD)

Yes, I believe so - it was pasted in a posting.

Gosh, I hope that I wasn't dreaming.

Do a literature search that contains the names, Harkama, Eggerston for treadmill/ supported ambulation. They have added results recently to include ASIA A patients.

You could also do a literature search for McDonald, J and /or Sadowsky to look at FES.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I posted it on CareCure but did not put it into the articles section (which I have not updated in many years). I don't have time to look for it right now but will try to do so as soon as possible. It is somewhere on CareCure. Wise.

This is a good article and has great pictures to help understand lymphadema and the anatomy and pathophysiology of the system.
    http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thes...us_pooling.htm
    Searching for Thread from Dr. Young.

CWO

Thank goodness that it really exists somewhere in CareCure -- I've tried to go thru threads one by one, but I can't find it.

Reason: My Dad's current attending doctor keeps saying "no" to any PT (except passive range of motion) -- and claims that nothing is proven. Doc claims that the edema is caused by lack of exercise and movement.

My Dad is also having problems with his stomach and feels bloated/full (halitosis, and tongue is thick) -- and Doc also claims that this is due to lack of movement and exercise.

Doc claims that there's nothing wrong with administering lasix for the edema and that lasix will help soften his stomach too.

Since my Dad responds well to exercise -- this is preferred. He's never been on a tilt table or standing frame -- and I remember that Wise's article mentioned standing as being helpful.

The Doc claims that exercise and standing will not help my Dad.

Currently, my Dad's insurance requires the Doc's referral to have my Dad see a physiatrist or a PT. Supposedly, in this state, a PT can't even "treat" my Dad without a doctor's order.
    Last edited by Joey_SF; 04-28-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey_SF View Post

Currently, my Dad's insurance requires the Doc's referral to have my Dad see a physiatrist or a PT. Supposedly, in this state, a PT can't even "treat" my Dad without a doctor's order.
    I don't think tht is correct, although without a doctors referral insurance won't pay for it and it is very expensive to pay out of pocket for it.