Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Beijing - MK99's post OEC transplant report

Ciao Mike,
    I wonder wich country you have i mind when you say that 'cure will be available overseas...'?

thanks
    Andrea

"I'm not overly concerned about disqualifying myself from something that doesn't exist. (yet)"

I've given a little thought to this issue myself as I'm starting to feel a little impatient and would like to try something in the next year or two - knowing it will be no more than an intermediate step toward return of function.
    But, I kinda figure no one is going to accept me into a clinical trial for a combo treatment anyway since I'm 24 years post with a flaccid injury.

"How about you Jan? Haven't heard anything for a while about your progress after Kao's surgery."

I honestly don't think any real progress can be attributed to Dr. Kao's procedure other than from the decompression. Maybe some of his techniques would be useful with other combinations. For instance, the use of hyperbaric chamber after surgery. You would be amazed at how quickly surgical wounds heal after a series of treatments. Also, I wonder if some of his success with decompression surgery can be attributed in part to his use of omentum transplant at surgical site.

As for myself, no dramatic changes. I do have some limited use of hip flexors I didn't have before. I notice them mostly in the pool... I can do some things with my strokes I couldn't do before. Also, we have been able to feel some contractions for the first time in my quads and hamstrings (very slight.) And lastly, when I use electric stim, occasionally I will feel the electrical shock. It catches me be surprise and makes me jump! Would my hip flexors have come back from the Kao exercises alone? Who knows?

The changes from the surgery can be seen on my MRI. I needed it... so I'm glad I did it... mostly, I'm glad it's over with. Although, I wouldn't recommend having a major surgery in a third-world country if you can help it.

But, yes, I'm pretty sure I'll be making a trek to some foreign land in the next couple of years. I'm 42 years old, spent most of my life in this chair and I'm tired of waiting. It's just too bad we all have to refi our homes to seek holy grail.

Mike, anything new you can share with us lately?

Nothing. I eagerly await a combination therapy... like everyone else.

Quick update - nothing new here. cAMP, Rolipram & OEC sounds very good to me... my guess is within a year.

mk99, hi, i just noticed that you had oec cell transplan before 11-25-03. would you please explain what kind of results (return of functions, sensation,etc.) did you get and notice since your transplant? also which sci lab's activity are you following and when do you expect them to report any combination treatment? thanks

BOEG03

Brief update:

I was getting injections for my back pain the other day and the Doctor doing so was convinced my level of sensation had descended dramatically down my back. I would estimate about 4 levels.

She has been doing these injections every few months since before my OEG transplant.

This is not "normal" sensation but better and lower than pre-OEG.

Everything else is the same.