Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new handcycle - INTREPID MTB ......a product test

My new handcycle - INTREPID MTB ......a product test

This is my new handcycle: it is an Intrepid MTB Tourer. These are actual pictures of it before it was shipped to me....pretty damn sharp

I spent some time talking with Graham, the builder and inventor, and ended up with these specs: standard MTB tires, upgraded rims. I also chose YELLOW, because only real men can pull that off ....oh and I upgraded to the 27 speed option.

It should arrive Monday. And I am VERY excited.

I'll give you guys a review for both on and off-road; and both with and without the Power Pod. I have great hopes for this machine....

I like the minimal wheel camber here....just looks better

And if this thing sucks, I will be first to let you know.

When you get it Mark, would sure appreciate a photo where the down tube attaches to the fork near the seat. That was a weak point on the Top End XL; it attached much the same way. Looks much stronger on the upper portion of the downtube.

I bet it'll be much more trail worthy than the leansteer. Dang, with the powerpod, you'll be able to go anywhere.

Looks like that may be a good off road cycle, lot's of ground clearance. Around what is the price on one of those? I like the way it's got the disc brake on the front like the FRH. I'd be interested to hear how you like the feel of the steering on that handcycle, that would be my one worry, definatly a different looking steering setup. You may want to keep your Freedom Ryder for road races and just use the Intrepid for off road.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Looks like that may be a good off road cycle, lot's of ground clearance. Around what is the price on one of those? I like the way it's got the disc brake on the front like the FRH. I'd be interested to hear how you like the feel of the steering on that handcycle, that would be my one worry, definatly a different looking steering setup. You may want to keep your Freedom Ryder for road races and just use the Intrepid for off road.

This is how my invoice broke down:

$1,950 - Bike base model
    $426 - 27sp upgrade (from the standard 24sp)
    $361.32 - Wheel upgrade

TOTAL: $2,737.32

Shipping was another $120.

With using the Power Pod 99% of the time, I honestly probably would not have needed to up grade those gears from the 24 to the 27. And the wheel upgrade was just pure vanity.....I thought the black rims would look so nice with the tires....

I'll definitely take a close critical look at the steering mech.
    Last edited by MarkB701; 04-20-2012 at 09:20 AM.

That's awesome! Very good deal compared to my Lasher ATH. Can't wait to hear how it performs.

If it works out for you I may take a look at yours on my way back from Fla. How long a drive are you off I 95 Mark? I really may think about the base model for under 2 grand (not in yellow though because I'm tired of yellow, my wheelchair is yellow and my truck I just sold yellow, now I'm back to black, lol.) I'm cautiously optimistic about these intrepids though as a lot of the earlier reports on them when they first came out 5 years or so were not good, but maybe they have got better. Ya never know. If I do swing by there on my way back would you mind if I took it for a quick test ride?

Oh ya, the other thing, I may buy one of those Paralyzer connectors from you then if you have any and another 3 pack bag, I like your idea of stacking the two 3 packs, they are nice and easy to handle and stacking them is a great idea, nice and easy to strap down and long range. When you get a chance see how many miles you can go with the two 3 packs stacked. That big battery I got (the 35 ah) does not go any further connected to the 2 12 ah batteries than if it were another 12 ah battery, I don't know why, but it's way too heavy and pretty much useless, sorry I wasted the $55.00 bucks on it now, would have been better off buying another 12 ah battery for ten bucks less.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-20-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Hey Curt, It would be great to finally meet you! You would drive up the 75 from Tampa to Atlanta, we could meet and do a nice ride together on the stunning roads around here. Then you press on to Chattanooga and head up the 81, past Knoxville. It would not be a big detour at all, and we would love to have you over - have a nice meal afterwards too About when are you headed up??

And I can definitely sort you out with a Paralyzer, not a problem. I really enjoyed having that much potential distance available. We need to have an unofficial distance competition with these.....my longest was a 47 mile ride the other weekend.....and I hadn't run out. Although, my butt had definitely run out....I was so happy to get back in my day chair lol!!!

Sounds good Mark, I'll book the rental car an extra day, can you believe it $13.95 a day for a car rental one way back up north, cheaper than flying, lol. This time of year they want their cars back up north for the summer and I'm the guy to do it. I won't have a handcycle though, maybe I could ride your FR? I'm sure you will want to be on your new bike. The more I look at that though, the more I like the design, let's keep our fingers crossed it works out. I think something like that with those tires might even be able to go on the beach here in Fla, the sand on the beach I go too is not too soft. That knobby on the power pod really digs in. I'm putting a road tire on mine now as believe it or not I've already worn the knobby down to the cord from all the riding I've done on the paved bike path with it.

I'm planning on leaving Fla May 4th, so hopefully that Saturday May 5th works ok for you? That's my Birthday too, I'm officially an old man then @ 54 years old.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

A birthday celebration too!!! although I hate to break it to you but were officially "old" already ....j/k

You can definitely ride the new bike as much as you want, I'll ride my old FreedomRyder. Let me check with the wife that there are no plans that weekend, but I believe we are free.

Great! Looking forward to it....

So Mark, can you get those wide knobbies with no wheel upgrade? Your route suggestion taking 75 to 81 sounds like a good idea, I get tired of 95 all the time. I like going through the state of TN too. I can drive straight to Atlanta from here, stay there and be at your place May 5th AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred