Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transition from Manual to Powerchair

Nice! Is that considered a midwheel drive? I was picturing the P200 I think, which would be shorter? I have the same blue opal paint on my quickie manual.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Thank you for taking the time to post the picture! Your chair is neat looking!!! I have a Matrx back on my manual chair but I think mine is more "bulky" looking than yours. Do you use the same seat width and depth as you do with a manual chair?

I found out today that my powerchair evaluation has been pushed back to the end of May Too bad because after what I have read I was getting excited. I've never been out of the apartment with my daughter (who is 3.5 years old) on my own and had dreams of doing this this summer (going to the YMCA, getting in the pool, taking her to a museum...) All the things that able-bodied parents do with their kids. But, I am fairly certain it will be well into fall before I receive a chair. At least the apartment is air conditioned, we have cable and internet
    Last edited by jodielynn519; 04-23-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Grammar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Nice! Is that considered a midwheel drive? I was picturing the P200 I think, which would be shorter? I have the same blue opal paint on my quickie manual.
    Lin, Quickie calls this P222SE "Rearwheel", whereas usatechguide.org calls it "mid-wheel". The fact its rear wheel (the power base actually) can be adjusted forward and rearward!

Engineermom2

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jodielynn519 View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to post the picture! Your chair is neat looking!!! I have a Matrx back on my manual chair but I think mine is more "bulky" looking than yours. Do you use the same seat width and depth as you do with a manual chair?

I found out today that my powerchair evaluation has been pushed back to the end of May Too bad because after what I have read I was getting excited. I've never been out of the apartment with my daughter (who is 3.5 years old) on my own and had dreams of doing this this summer (going to the YMCA, getting in the pool, taking her to a museum...) All the things that able-bodied parents do with their kids. But, I am fairly certain it will be well into fall before I receive a chair. At least the apartment is air conditioned, we have cable and internet
    JodieLynn,
    No, my seat size was last evaluated in 1993 so sadly, my but has gotten wider over the years. The depth is the same however!

Did I mention that this chair has a fold down back AND the chair can split in half for maintenance or for travel? This is not something you would do daily, but when you need to, it is awfully handy! It is narrower and lighter than the Quickie 646, but I really NEEDED the small exterior dimensions of this chair to fit in my environment.

My advice if you have that much time before getting a chair is to Demo, demo, demo!!! If your current provider wont let you, call the manufacturer(sales dept) and see which DME in your area would be able to provide the model wheelchair you need to try/demo.

Yes, I like the color too! Thanks very much!

Engineermom2

I haven't been here in awhile. I actually switched to a power chair after having surgery for a pressure sore that didn't heal back in 2006. I was also having a lot of pain and joint popping of the shoulders for a year or 2 up to that point (This was caused by about 5 years of transfers, lifting parts of my chair in and out of my first car and using the Chair Topper I had on it to load the chair, as well as using manual chairs since the age of 3 due to Spina Bifida). I used to use my power chair a lot before I switched to ultra light titanium chairs.

I have barely used my 6 year old power chair since the switch because I need to control and maintain my weight (not easy to do that in a power chair), but I am not afraid to go back to it if needed (I probably need to call my dealer toward the end of this year and work on ordering a new one since my manual will be a year old by then and my insurance will pay for it). The last time I used it was at the rodeo twice (back in February) and it has been at home since. I plan on NOT taking it with me this summer, since I need to navigate gravel and dirt that it gets stuck in at camp. I will be using my TiLite ZRA2 this summer.

I would rather use my TiLite ZRA2 with power assist wheels which is much easier to get in and out of my van and gives the exercise I need. I am also still in the training mode with learning how the wheels operate.

But, all that said and done, it is not a bad idea to make the transition before you get to the point to where you're unable to function. I get a lot of flack from friends who think using power assist and power chairs would make them lazy but they don't have the shoulder problems I do so I don't listen. I do what's best for my health.

Engineermom2 what is the STF height of the chair in your posted pic?

Wink STF on P222SE w/ Amy tilt system

Quote Originally Posted by swannyriver View Post
    Engineermom2 what is the STF height of the chair in your posted pic?
    Swannyriver,
    The STF of this chair is 18.5". Please note this is LOWER than the P222SE STF that is on the Sunrise Order Form! This is because it is an Amy Systems tilt system-newer in design than the OEM Sunrise tilt system.

The original equipment manufacturer (OEM) tilt system that is on the Sunrise form would have had me at 19 3/4"(at the lowest!) and would not allow enough knee clearance driving in the van.

Also, I can still break the chair in two with this Amy system's tilt. This is not an normal occurrence but due to travel or front caster bearing maintenance (to get the chair's frame up onto a table.)

Also, I realized you cannot see the footrests from this picture. They went through "Built for me" at Sunrise as I elected to have tapered in 75 degree foot hangers. This gives more clearance for the front casters and keeps the diagonal length of the chair short!

Probably more than you wanted to know! -But I hopes this helps!!!
    Engineermom2

Thanks. The STF looks higher in the pics.