Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am going to buy a new vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by professirx View Post
    if u need 2 c if theres a dealer near you,let me know
    Is this drivable from the wheelchair?

The old GoSchiki now Mobility SVM is back in production hopefully. I saw a SUV in their production line but it was a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by terry_s1968 View Post

The old GoSchiki now Mobility SVM is back in production hopefully. I saw a SUV in their production line but it was a big one.
    No,It's set up as a transport vehicle, it is sold only to transport people in wheelchairs as passengers. It manual doors, a ramp, and securement and seatbelt systems, but does not include hand controls or any other considerations I know of for those who want to drive from a wheelchair.

Converted minivans are vastly superior to the VPG MV-1 in ease-of-use, design, safety, and feature content. Furthermore, VPG does not have a significant price advantage over converted minivans.
    Last edited by Automotive Innovations; 04-24-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I think the Goshichi (or what ever the new name is) looks really cool, but I have serious concerns as to it's longevity.

Mind you I'm not sold by anything new unless I can see and believe that it's going to last.

Iv'e been doing this for close to 25 years and much like the first pick up truck driver job we did back in 2001 (its still on the road as a daily driver) I prefer Ryno Mobility's conversion.

Ryno Mobility's newest conversion is a solid product that looks like it will last just as long as the first ones we did more than 10 years ago.

On another note I would love to do a custom one off lowered floor suburban or other large SUV for someone someday.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna and love it. I didn't want a van either - I went from riding a ZX-10 as my main solo transportation method to driving a minivan. At first I hated the idea, but it just makes things so very easy and I'm very anti-pain-in-the-ass driven. For my situation it works very well - I have a wife and 2 kids and it is our primary family vehicle. The side doors open/close with the push of a button, the van lowers and deploys a ramp when the right side door is opened, the rear hatch opens/closes with a button, and it has a rear backup camera. I think it looks decent too --- for a minivan

I think they can accommodate that, call the main office in Florida

best to test each for yourself,everything is to ur own personal needs n taste,no one is superior over the other, just ask the main office about ur requirements and if i can be accommodated, if not try other suggestions ,just dont jump to the strongest comments.

If you are in the market to purchase a wheelchair accessible vehicle, compare makes, models and options. Be cautious purchasing a vehicle from a new company in the market with no history of service and satisfaction.

The MV-1 doesn’t have hand or foot controls and the driver’s seat does not swivel since it is not designed to be driven by a person in a wheelchair. Mobility dealers provide multiple options so that a driver or passenger can have adaptive equipment installed based on their unique needs.
    The MV-1 does not have a wheelchair lift, only a ramp. The ramp has an approved angle from the ADA, but has an extended reach of 87”. Often 87” or 7’4” is too long for some driveways or accessible parking spaces. The deluxe model offers a shorter setting, but the ramp can be too severe of an angle for some users. By comparison, a lowered floor mini van, has a 52” ramp with a 8:1 ramp angle with a kneeling function.
    MV-1’s gas mileage has been rated by the EPA at 13 mpg in the city, 18 mpg on the highway. Most other wheelchair accessible vans average between 17 and 18 miles per gallon in the city.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Automotive Inn,

I drove a converted mini van with a r roof and l floor and could barely see out of the windshield to drive. I borrowed a TDX powerchair because it was lower than mine at the head height at 58''. My head was constantly rubbiing the headliner. What is the maximum head height of a PC that will fit and see safetly.

The one bad problem was the L floor caused the van to drag quite a lot. Felt like I was ripping it apart. Maybe NW PA is a place for full size vans but never drove one with controls. The best vehicle I believe for a powerchair is a Sprinter van. Don't need to reconfigure the vehicle, add lift and hand controls, I did hear that the wireing under the seat is a problem though. The sprinters with the diesel motor was getting 35 mpg.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-25-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    Automotive Inn,

I drove a converted mini van with a r roof and l floor and could barely see out of the windshield to drive. I borrowed a TDX powerchair because it was lower than mine at the head height at 58''. My head was constantly rubbiing the headliner. What is the maximum head height of a PC that will fit and see safetly.

The one bad problem was the L floor caused the van to drag quite a lot. Felt like I was ripping it apart. Maybe NW PA is a place for full size vans but never drove one with controls. The best vehicle I believe for a powerchair is a Sprinter van. Don't need to reconfigure the vehicle, add lift and hand controls, I did hear that the wireing under the seat is a problem though. The sprinters with the diesel motor was getting 35 mpg.
    What year was your old van, was it a raised roof and lowered floor?

What is your eye level (around 54")

2 options would be a 14" lowered floor (may have more ground clearance than your old van) or a 9" lowered floor full size Ford (we even done these with 4x4)

A 14" lowered floor has a 56" door opening (you'd have to duck a little) and has a interior height of 60" in the drivers position.

A 9" lowered floor has a 56.5 door opening and has a interior height of 61" in the drivers position.

The full size Ford will definitely be better off road.(especially with a Quigley 4x4 conversion)

I don't have a Sprinter at the shop to measure, do you know what the height of the windshield is?

Iv'e never looked at lowering the floor on a Sprinter depending on the windshield height you may need to have the floor lowered in the drivers area.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

AUTO INN. Is the sprinter van able to be driven from pwr chair?