Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New T11

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Going home is scary, but it is also a relief from all the hospital stuff. They throw much at you , so quick in rehab. You'll learn most of what you do in rehab is not neccessary and you'll have to learn what works for YOU. In rehab, they are always sticking you and probing you with crap to see what works and you're more lie a test subject than a person, going home you can try different things in a more "normal" and relaxing environment. If you wearing the "turtle shell", learning to do as much as you can with that thing on can be difficult since it restricts some of your movement. Make sure you get up and exercise, at your level, pushups in the chair will go a long way quick and help with transfers. Laying in bed too much will make you weaker, so it's important that you work on gettin up and sitting more and more every day. One thing I've learned with SCI, you get weaker much more quicker than you get stronger. For those who are really active and workout, do adaptive sports and such, I read somewhere, for every week you don't exercise, it takes three weeks to get back what you lost. I'm guilty of having no real routine, but I can tell when I slack, it bites me in the ass.
    When you get the brace off and get good at transfers, I really suggest finding a sport, like handcycling or something. Also, if you're a snow lover, you can always sit ski next winter. Anything you can do to get out of the chair is somewhat of a freedom to what has happened.

I try to be patient I just feel like after 3 months I need privacy again lol. It wasn't Bohemia, although I have snowboarded there several times It was actually just a local sledding hill that my friends and I went to at night after a few beverages. Went off a homemade jump, tried to avoid one of my friends that had wiped out, and smacked into the woods eventually rolling into a tree.

I think I have been pretty decent about being understanding, I'm normally a very patient person and I don't know why all of the sudden everyone's tiniest movements are making me mad. Like I said, I think once I get back home and have privacy again and can't start to feel as normal as possible, I will regain my patience.

shveddy - Haha that has happened to me already! My friend brought his girlfriend and I told him everything that I messed up, and she looked at me and went on for a good twenty minutes about how she separated her elbow when she was in high school from a game of softball. I tried really hard to be sympathetic, but truth is I wanted to slap her!

jschism - Thanks for all the good words I was very active before I was hurt, use to run 5 miles every morning and snowboarded almost daily as an instructor! My husband is the same way so I don't think I will lack any motivation in exercising as soon as the turtle shell is off! I'm just trying to think of ways I will be able to keep up with him. I'm really interested in trying out handcycling as soon as I am able! I also am really excited to try sit-skiing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam.I.Am View Post
    jschism - Thanks for all the good words I was very active before I was hurt, use to run 5 miles every morning and snowboarded almost daily as an instructor! My husband is the same way so I don't think I will lack any motivation in exercising as soon as the turtle shell is off! I'm just trying to think of ways I will be able to keep up with him. I'm really interested in trying out handcycling as soon as I am able! I also am really excited to try sit-skiing!
    Give it time, he won't be able to keep up with you. I also suggest getting into a pool. I just started after 4 yrs. and this is something I should have been doing in rehab. I'm a t-11
    Last edited by jschism; 04-20-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add

We have a pool at our house which I was actually wondering about. Here we have a lift to get me in and out, but I can't imagine how much those cost and probably wouldn't install one at our house anyway. How do you get in? Do you need help or are you able to go in alone? We only have a ladder and no steps so there isn't a way to really get myself up the ladder as of now.

I never learned how to swim before SCI, so I take lessons at the local YMCA with a lift and still use a chest floaty. There are plenty of people who swim without any aids, though. Pool lift don't seem near as high priced as everything else that goes with SCI. Youtube has all kinds of stuff, from people going in the pool from their chair to lifting themselves out over the side.

I will def look it up! Thanks for all the great advice!

Thumbs up sam I am

I was fortunate enough 35 years ago the rehab center I was at had a pool. The brace was waterproofed, and the therapists literally dunked me in the water. I was amazed I did so well so quickly. I think you will do the same because of snowboarding and the like. I was 40 day a year skier (boarding was just getting started back then). Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Hi Sam, thanks for posting your story. Coming out of inpatient rehab can be scary and a blessing all at the same time. My guess is that within two days of being home it'll feel like old hat and very, very welcomed. You'll love having your privacy again and the ability to decide your own schedule and care for yourself.

Recovery from this sort of injury is a long road, so be patient and work as hard as you can to strengthen. In the early stages, it's impossible to know what the outcome might be, so give yourself the best possible chance and stay active. I'm sure you will, based on what you have written.

I was injured when a tree fell on me during a tornado. It was in northern Wisconsin, 20 months ago. We were camping at the time. It was a bad injury and it was questionable whether I'd even survive. I'm back to working a normal schedule now and can walk with the assistance of hiking poles. I drive, shop, cook, hike, do all sorts of fitness routines, and have regained most of my life. I still have a ways to go and will never stop trying.

I tell you this as a piece of encouragement. Everyone is different and your recovery will likely take a different route depending on the severity of your injury and a million other factors. Don't give up hope, though. A lot can be achieved and I wish the very best for you.

Hi Truly, Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm really hoping I just fall into my own routine and not someone else's :P I'm not much of a rule follower as it is! I'm pretty close to Northern Wisconsin and have been camping all over there! Thank you for sharing your story, of course the situation stinks, but its amazing to see how much you are doing since then! I really hope I can get to the point eventually.

My husband has already planned a few camping trips for us this summer, we aren't really indoor people. Now I just have to find a tent that I will be able to get into and move around in. He has found one that has four rooms (one being a screen tent) that open into each other. I can't really see myself getting up off the floor constantly so I'm thinking one of those raised air mattresses will work?

I really want to work on driving first. We live on the outskirts of town, its a good 20 minutes to anything useful and I hate relying on others. But for now it will have to do! I'm ready for real world experiences and seeing how far I can get!