Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair Rugby match

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I get the rods part, but not the para. Is wheelchair rugby limited to quads? I want to start, there is a YMCA right across from work that has pickup games every saturday. They going to throw me out because I can juggle?
    well, it's kind of like an AB asking about wanting to play wc basketball - they going to throw me out because I can dunk?

maybe not the perfect analogy, but you get the drift.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    well, it's kind of like an AB asking about wanting to play wc basketball - they going to throw me out because I can dunk?

maybe not the perfect analogy, but you get the drift.
    I guess, I have never played or watched a game. I probably will get it once I do. Thanks.

@scorp - yeah when I was there getting a membership (they have cool adaptive workout equipment, a separate locker room with a chair friendly changing table, very nice place), they seemed excited to get me there on a saturday to play, but it was some AB guy at the desk and maybe he was just assuming all people in wheelchairs are the same

@scorp - yeah when I was there getting a membership (they have cool adaptive workout equipment, a separate locker room with a chair friendly changing table, very nice place), they seemed excited to get me there on a saturday to play, but it was some AB guy at the desk and maybe he was just assuming all people in wheelchairs are the same
    Maybe so, but I do know rugby teams often practice/scrimage with ABs too, so they'll probably welcome you... though you might not want to lead with the juggling thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Maybe so, but I do know rugby teams often practice/scrimage with ABs too, so they'll probably welcome you... though you might not want to lead with the juggling thing.
    It is actually really, really hard. I used to juggle as an AB (for a while in a startup I was working at all the geeks were doing it) and was pretty good. Thing is as a T8 I have pretty much no ab muscles and balance is a bit of an issue, so now the challenge is not to juggle but to juggle and not fall over. I do it to train my core sitting on the edge of the bed but every once in a while I end up on the floor... and get to practice my floor to chair skills.

BOLLOCKS! Sorry everybody, the person who forwarded me that link obviously didn't try it out ahead of time because none of the videos are loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    For competition, yes, you have to have some deficiency of hand function. Hence the name Quad Rugby (though more commonly referred to as wheelchair rugby these days). But for scrimages or pickup games, they might let paras play.
    Definitely. Tate - don't let the juggling stop you from going out to have fun, it's a great way to get your yaya's out. Before I started I was wound up so tight I was ready to burst. You won't be able to be classified for competition but if they have a chair for you to use get in there. Keep in mind it is a game invented for folks with limited hand function so please vacate that chair for someone who needs it more than you. After all, quads really don't have any other team sports. (yet)

Paras should be allowed to play as a 3.5, if they wear extremely thick oven mits on each hand.

It is actually really, really hard. I used to juggle as an AB (for a while in a startup I was working at all the geeks were doing it) and was pretty good. Thing is as a T8 I have pretty much no ab muscles and balance is a bit of an issue, so now the challenge is not to juggle but to juggle and not fall over. I do it to train my core sitting on the edge of the bed but every once in a while I end up on the floor... and get to practice my floor to chair skills.
    Yeah, I juggled pre-SCI but never more than 3 things at once, and then they had to be pretty similar in size and weight.

I bet it would be good balance training post-SCI for paras.

I've sat in and watched at Craig hospital when the team use to practice there. Omg, they are brutal but very good. They take it very seriously. I noticed most of them had hot chicks too.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Here in Dallas we've got a group of people (quad's, para's and ab's) that play after the local team finishes their practice. We get anywhere from 15-20+ people that show up to play and the non profit that puts it on has plenty of chair to go around. Always a fun time and a hell of a good work out.
    Most everything I say is

Quote Originally Posted by Bke View Post
    Hi Kiran,

I'll be in Vancouver again at the Canada Cup in June. Maybe we'll see more of each other this time.
    Awesome! I will look for you there. I met Nafi (McLovin) last time as well, but it was far too short of a visit because he was playing. Let's grab a drink this time around.