Thread: Eye infections?

Eye infections?

I get frequent eye infections. I've read many raves here and elsewhere about Vetercyn/Microcyn. I've yet to find any human has used it eye infections.

Many here use it for bladder and wounds. Anyone use it in their eyes?

TIA
    -------------------------
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: "...your ass looks like about a hundred and fifty pounds of chewed bubblegum!"

Please do NOT self treat eye infections with any chemical not prescribed and tested for this use. You risk loosing your vision. These are the chemical components of this product:

INGREDIENTS:
    Electrolyzed Water (99.97%), Sodium Chloride (NaCl) 0.023% and preservatives, Sodium Hypochlorite (NaOCl) 0.004%, and Hypochlorous Acid (HOCl) 0.003%.

Sodium Hypochlorite (NaOCl) is bleach, which can be very irritating and even damaging to the eye, in even very small amounts.

(KLD)

Thanks for your concern and reply, KLD.

I realize very dilute bleach is an ingredient. That's why I'm asking if anybody here has used it in or around the eyes. Even if accidental – I forgot to include that in my OP.

In addition the Vetericyn makers explicity market eye washes for dogs, cats, horses, cows, etc. Mammal cousins of mine. All have the exact same ingredients as the wound wash.

I was considering using it external to the eyeballs by spraying it on my closed eyes and letting it dry. The infections I get stem from the lash folicles. I'm afraid of building a resistant bug by using my proscribed antibiotic ointment. Then getting a scratched eye...

Bacitracin ointment works to clear it up. But it usually returns in about a week.
    -------------------------
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: "...your ass looks like about a hundred and fifty pounds of chewed bubblegum!"

Blog Entries
    Regular strength Vetericyn works wonders for my cats. Frequent infections have gone to zero and it does not seem to bother them at all.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

If you decide to use it on your eyelash follicles, it might work better to moisten a cotton ball, cotton cosmetic sponge, or piece of gauze and wipe it over the lash/lid area. Here is a PDF you may find interesting.

All the best,
    GJ