Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Cold and More Chest Pain

Another Cold and More Chest Pain

Hey all,

I caught a nasty cold and since Friday the pain in my chest has increased. It hurts all the time but hurts even worse when I try to take a deep breathe. Part of it is from coughing but it doesn't seem like it's just coughing that is the problem. Is it nessacary to go to the doctor? A friend has offered to take me. Thoughts?

Ps I typed this on my iPhone excuse any typos

I would go to the doctor, as you might be in the beginning stages of pneumonia or pleurisy - better safe than sorry. I hope it's just a cold, but if not you can get started on appropriate treatment. Hope you feel better very soon!

Sounds very much like pleurisy to me too. You could have pneumonia as well. You need a good chest exam (listening with a stethascope, thumping on your chest, etc.) and probably a chest Xray. You may need antibiotics if you have a bacterial infection on top of the viral that this probably started out with. Additional meds may be needed if you have bronchitis or pleurisy too. See your internal medicine physician, ideally, and they may want to refer you to a pulmonologist is your case is difficult to treat/manage.

(KLD)

Okk te only thing is I'd have to wait for a week to see my gp. Should I go to urgent care/ER?

go to urgent care.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    go to urgent care.
    Absolutely agree.

Just an update...

Left work and went to urgent car thanks to an awesome friend. Doctor looked in the back of my throat and said it looked really bad. I have a full blown sinus infection so I defiantly did need to go.

WG

I'm glad you went to the doctor. Did he do a chest x-ray and listen to your lungs (since your chest hurts)? Did he prescribe anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I'm glad you went to the doctor. Did he do a chest x-ray and listen to your lungs (since your chest hurts)? Did he prescribe anything?
    They didn't do a chest x-ray but he did listen to my chest and prescribed Nasanex and a 5-day course (with today being a double dose) of antibiotics (Arythromiasin) (sp?)

I hope the meds help you to feel better. It might not be a bad idea to schedule an appointment with your regular doctor, since you already know it will take a week to get in to see him; by that time, the Erythromycin will be finished. if you're a lot better by then, you can always cancel - and if you're not, your doctor can look deeper into what's going on.