Thread: Measuring Camber

Measuring Camber

Is there an easy way to measure camber? I'm in an old GPV Comp where I can adjust the camber by inserting washers behind the axle plate.

If I measure the inside distance between the top of the wheels and the bottom, combined with the height at the top to get a sort of trapezoid, is there an easy formula for that? Or should I take a picture from behind and measure it in photoshop?

Measure the distances, and use trigonometry to calculate camber.
    Attachment 44561

c = arctan B'/(D/2)
    for small cambers (~6 degrees and less), c = ~arctan B/(D/2)

for larger cambers (e.g., sports), the difference between B and B' introduces a significant error, but B' is hard to measure (or more trig formulas are required for accuracy).

example:
    given wheel diameter (D) = 24" and B = 3/4"
    camber = arctan 2*0.75/24 = ~ 3.5 degrees

(note "~" means about)
    Last edited by chasmengr; 04-17-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Or for $10 you can buy an inclinometer at the hardware stop.

1. I had to take Algebra twice so trig to me is like watching Shakespeare in Klingon.
    2. I'm a cheap bastard.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. I'll see what I can get to this weekend.

PS: how do I measure wheel radius while compensating for the flange created by the hub? Maybe I can find an ETRO measurement chart somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    . . . like watching Shakespeare in Klingon.
    lol - fabulous visualization My wife chuckled, too ! (She is a fan of both Shakespeare and StarTrek.)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    PS: how do I measure wheel radius while compensating for the flange created by the hub? Maybe I can find an ETRO measurement chart somewhere....
    I don't think the error introduced by the flange will be significant. measure from the center of the axle to the edge of the tire. (Have I understood you correctly?)

try this page for more than you ever wanted to know about ETRTO tire sizes
    Last edited by chasmengr; 04-18-2012 at 01:00 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I think the washers on the gpv give 1.5 -2.0 degree camber each one

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Have I understood you correctly?
    Yes, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rolling01au View Post
    I think the washers on the gpv give 1.5 -2.0 degree camber each one
    That's a 25% margin of error, yo. That's huge if I have 5-7 washers.
    Also, believe it or not, the washers vary in thickness.

If you post the distance between the top of your tires and the distance between the bottom of your tires and the diameter of your tires (24 in, 25in) I will tell you your camber.

C'mon folks! We are talking about a GPV Competition which uses washers in between the axle plate and frame for camber. Applying trigonometry or attempting any other math calculation to determine the camber on a GPV is like using a tire pressure gauge to see if you really got the "100 psi" Shox solid tires the DME said they sold you.

Take a picture with a good horizontal reference point and go from there. Paste into Microsoft Word, draw a vertical line on top of it, then change the orientation using the "format" function until the line is parallel with the wheel.

Let's not even get into checking toe in/toe out!