Thread: Brain Bible

Brain Bible

Hi everyone,

It happened that I came across a book called "The Mind and the Brain : Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force" (Hardcover, 2002), Author: Jeffrey M. Schwartz, Sharon Begley. Has anyone read it? It is an eye opener. If you ever plan to recover from SCI, read it from core to core. It explains the whole mechanism of neuroplasticity, and how brain functions and learns. You might get bored at the beginning, but by the time you reach the middle you're going to be thanking me for this advice. The book explains by providing solid scientific evidence why such programs as Project Walk, Mind Instructor, or Coordination Dynamic Therapy work, and why other injured people who exercise don't recover. When you finish this book, and if you planned to visit Project Walk, so that they could make a program for you to do at home, you won't have to go anywhere, you'll be able to make any program yourself. This book should be required for all people working in rehabilitation, and all doctors working with brain and spinal cord. And it's a shame that the concepts presented in this book are not widely applicable for people with SCI.

Dmitriy

Dmitriy,

Does he show alternatives? Mental Force? Specific training of Mental Force? Training the brain...would it influence the spinal cord?

Janet

Why is it not applicable to SCI?

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

I'm a newbie here as of today. I started out in chat and decided to dive in being this of many was an interesting topic. I mentioned in the chat room today something about (sp) telekenesis"??? sorry if spellings wrong.
    I was thinking if telekenesis were possible then why not that mental power for concentration and somehow jump the gaps or path ways to get the signals past a particular part of the body. If Drs were wrong about brain cells growing back as they said weren't possible years ago then why not spine regeneration. I think about just what exactly that 2/3rd's of the human brain which is un-known and un-explored holds. Could it be possible that the unknown holds some power to release chemicals sperting new growth? Just a theory i have. Is it possible our brains could harness powers so great that it's un-phathonable? Anyway it's just my thoughts and opinion. Also, I'd like to say hello to everyone and I'd like to say this forum is great so far

--fast

Yes Dmitriy, I have read his previous book titled The Brain, which I think was published in 1996. I'm glad to hear Schwartz has a new book out. Even his previous book was incredibly comprehensive and provided a lot of hope, so I'll definitely purchase this new book.

You misunderstood me a little, it is applicable to SCI, but so far it wasn't. The treadmill therapy and Project Walk are the first. And the mental force in this book isn't about moving objects with your mind - no black magic, ok. Just read the book.

Dmitriy

Thanks Dmitriy - just ordered mine and am looking forward to reading it.

Deb

It isn't about moving objects.... it isn't about 'moving the brain' to produce specific connections? I will wait, not interrupt Deb's readings.

Janet