Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to carry crutches while using a wheelchair

How to carry crutches while using a wheelchair

I use a rigid frame wheelchair with no push handles (TE Terminator). I am now walking with forearm crutches, but am not ready to attempt a business trip with only crutches (as in, if I don't take the wheelchair, and wind up needing the wheelchair, I'm screwed).

So it seems that my choices are:

1. Take the wheelchair and no crutches, and don't enjoy the benefits of being ambulatory!
    2. Figure out some way to lash the crutches onto the wheelchair so that I can take/have it all.

All the wheelchair mounted crutch holders I've seen assume a box frame like a GPV so that there's something near the ground to capture the crutch tips. I've tried making a long skinny bag with straps like a backpack, but as time goes by the crutches/bag start slipping sideways and the bottom end of the bag winds up banging into the wheels.

Surely someone has solved this problem! Help me out.

There are folding forearm crutches that are held together with a elastic band running through each piece. I don't recall the brand of the pair I have but this would be a solution. You can break 'em down and put them under your chair .... Google folding forearm crutches.

hmm I drop mine through the bar on the backrest and rest them on the pushhandle, and put my backpack over top of them! (turns out 10 lbs of IV fluids and feeds and pumps are good for something!) they DO make trays for forearm crutches, that I don't THINK are dependent on push handles...but not positive. I opted against because I didn't know if it'd get in the way. I've been thinking about adding some strong netting or an open bag to that bar to catch them, yet is out of the way when they're not there. so long as they stay tight to my chair I can even wheelie with them there. (I use the seatbelt I do'nt always wear to help keep them tight, but if the tray worked out for you I don't think it'd matter. or you could tie something onto the backrest frame so long as it was flush enough so's not to be irritating.) Just trying to throw out ideas of what I've found to work to see if anything could apply to your situation since our chair setup is different, also wondering if you could get a little nylon strip witha clip like you find on backpacks to just slip around the backrest bar, I know mine has a spot with the tension adjustable even and know that most if not all hard backs also have open spots to do the same. I do think you'll need something at the bottom to hold them on though whether its some netting, a bag or a tray though since you don't have a good option to hold them up up top. good luck!

velcro wire ties?

WalkEasy makes an accessory that allows you to clip crutches to a wheelchair or walker/roller - here's a link. This company also makes a folding forearm crutch.

I have a solution for you, Katja! You wrote in one of my threads that you were trying to justify the purchase of a pair of Quickstep crutches from Arbincare to yourself. Well, here's your justification :

Sadly, I can't show you a picture of my setup right now, because I have no camera handy. But I use the same type of brackets you see mounted on the back of this bike, only mine are placed in such a way as to hold the crutches vertically.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    WalkEasy makes an accessory that allows you to clip crutches to a wheelchair or walker/roller - here's a link. This company also makes a folding forearm crutch.
    yeah thats what I was thinking of but forgot to mention specifically. I use walk easys, I guess you put two of them for each crutch? they seem pretty nice and small/out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by MillsWheels View Post
    yeah thats what I was thinking of but forgot to mention specifically. I use walk easys, I guess you put two of them for each crutch? they seem pretty nice and small/out of the way.
    I can't figure out where I would mount them. No exposed tubing on the back of the chair except for the rigidizer bar, which is going in the wrong direction. Then they suggest you use the other thingie (http://www.walkeasy.com/shop/product...roductCode=CH9) at the bottom (no place to mount that, either), which suggests to me that the top clip isn't strong enough by itself to keep the crutch upright or keep it from slipping down and dragging on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    I have a solution for you, Katja! You wrote in one of my threads that you were trying to justify the purchase of a pair of Quickstep crutches from Arbincare to yourself. Well, here's your justification :

Sadly, I can't show you a picture of my setup right now, because I have no camera handy. But I use the same type of brackets you see mounted on the back of this bike, only mine are placed in such a way as to hold the crutches vertically.
    I wound up actually ordering a pair from Fetterman. I got them last Friday, and played with them over the weekend. I really, really wanted them to be super wonderful, but I'm sending them back, and here's why:

1. They're heavy. Almost twice as heavy as my Walk Easys (800 g vs 520 g).
    2. The cuffs hurt. The cuff material is very stiff, which I'm sure is in aid of the "stands up on the cuffs" feature, but my forearms are all scratched and bruised from the cuffs digging into them when I raise my arms and let the crutches hang
    3. When they're telescoped, and you're trying to carry two of them in a wheelchair, say on your lap, they don't play well with each other. They don't nest or anything, so you've got these two very thick heavy sticks fighting each other.

I think I'm going to try the crutch bag Fetterman sells: http://www.fetterman-crutches.com/ac...lder/index.php. The one I made was similar, but the Fetterman rep tells me theirs is reinforced with rigid plastic tubing to keep it from sliding diagonal. The next more expensive option up is the folding crutches arndog mentions.

What type of crutches are you using? If you are using forearm crutches, I know there was someone who posted a homemade holder made out of PVC pipe and a pipe clamp to attach to the backrest posts of their chair on here previous (but I can't find the picture right now).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What type of crutches are you using? If you are using forearm crutches, I know there was someone who posted a homemade holder made out of PVC pipe and a pipe clamp to attach to the backrest posts of their chair on here previous (but I can't find the picture right now).

(KLD)
    Yup, forearm crutches: http://www.walkeasy.com/shop/product...roductCode=471

My back upholstery covers my backrest posts :-{! Maybe I need a new back (it's like a cascade, isn't it...)

Is this the PVC holder you were thinking of?

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...66&postcount=4