Thread: Adaptive Yoga DVD

Adaptive Yoga DVD

I think there have been a few threads re: doing yoga in the chair. In the most recent issue of New Mobility there is an article about Matthew Sanford, a Yoga teacher who has been practicing & teaching adaptive yoga for several years and also wrote the book, "Waking". a memoir about his SCI journey and how being a Yoga practitioner has effected his health and life.

He has a new instructional DVD out that is targeted to folks in chairs and all levels and kinds of disability. It is $24.95 which seems reasonable if it makes a difference. I haven't made the purchase yet myself but thought I would pass the info on to anyone interested.

Here is a review written by a new mobility contributing writer:

http://newmobility.com/articleView.cfm?id=12105

Thanks for posting. I'm trying to get an adaptive yoga class going at my vip neurorehabcenter www.vipneurorehabcenter.com, but have not been able to find any good information. This will be a big help.

thanks I will check it out for sure!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Great idea! Thanks so much for posting the info. I'm going to check out his book, too.

There have been several threads here about Matt Sanford's work - you might want to check those out, too. He has an informative website - click here for that.

A CareCure member (Ivyella) posted awhile back that she attends a yoga class with a teacher trained by Matt Sanford - sounds wonderful.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 04-15-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Addition

Has anyone had any experience with yoga after they got injured (good and bad)??

Is the DVD possible to play on European DVD players to or is it only for the zone 2?
    TH 12, 43 years post

Here's the article on adaptive yoga from the current issue of New Mobility.

I gotta admit I was kinda bummed when I realize all or most of the moves required assistance. I really don't want to do a exercise program that requires someone to do it all with me..(well at least not YOGA I just dont have that option all the time.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Marycsm77 started a thread some time ago that addressed the practice of yoga by people with many levels and kinds of disability - it's a long thread, and interspersed throughout are links to excellent adapative yoga books and websites (in addition to Matt's). Here is a link to the thread.