Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ssdi

Ssdi

I was born with Spina Bifida and started receiving disability when I was 19. My parents told me they applied for it a few times when I was growing up, but was always denied. I applied when I was an adult and was approved immediately. That is just some background information, but isn't what I wanted to ask about.

My dad started drawing disability a few years ago, so I was told that I had to switch from SSI to SSDI to draw off of my dads or something like that. In August 2011, I received a letter stating that my check was going to be decreased by $100 because of my dad drawing worker's comp back in 2004. His check was not decreased though. I appealed this, but it was denied.

I received a letter today saying that I will be getting that $100 a month back starting in June. I want to know if there is a way I can appeal to get the back pay for the ten months (Aug. '11 to May '12) the $100 was being taking out of my check. That is $1000 they have taken from me.

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

As the SSDI turns

Dear faith9778,

Due to the fact that you were disabled (SB) before age 22 you have access to your parents Social Security Benefits. Due to the fact your parent is drawing on their FICA there is an offset.

Personally I think your father should NOT have taken Workers Comp. thus opening the lawsuit door to the employer.

Trying to appeal SSA decisions are vary RARELY over turned in favor of the beneficiary.

In my case because I received a Tax rebate check during the George W. Bush Administration that exceeded the SGA monthly amount thus I was accessed a TWP Month (I NEVER WORKED FOR THE GOVERNMENT). They never acknowledged the error and thus the only thing I can do is wait another 60 months to reset TWP. Welcome to BROKEN AMERICA where bull $hit reigns SUPREME.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/dibplan/dqualify10.htm

never take workers comp if you can help it -- its like a felony, sticks with you like dog shit and a shoe, lol!! Doesnt happen all the time..but stinks when it does..
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

What about my current situation? Can I do something to see if I can get the money back that they have been taking from my check for the past ten months?

Is you father a Viet Nam war era veteran by any chance?

I don't see your age on your profile and the question might seem like it is out of left field. But, there are special provisions / benefits for Vietnam era (who were on the ground in Vietnam not just the service ) related to Agent Orange and Spina Bifida.

Just a thought in the event it is applicable

Good luck, Ches

No he isn't. He got a work related injury and got worker's comp for it. Then a few months later the idiots he worked for for 34 years fired him for not being able to do his job.
    I'm in my early 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    No he isn't. He got a work related injury and got worker's comp for it. Then a few months later the idiots he worked for for 34 years fired him for not being able to do his job.
    I'm in my early 30's.
    Sorry about your father's situation Faith.

I have some friends whose daughter was born with Spina Bifida and her father is a Viet Nam vet. Around 1997 the Veterans Admin approved benefits for persons meeting certain criteria so I just thought I would ask.

Good luck on your go round with Social Security!
    Best, Ches

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Hate to say

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    What about my current situation? Can I do something to see if I can get the money back that they have been taking from my check for the past ten months?
    You might have better LUCK with the Lottery or VEGAS. But at least try to pick the lock of NO.

I guess the only thing I know to do is go to the office when I go to the dentist in a couple of weeks instead of making a special trip to the next town.

Very interesting. Are there any provisions for those who are students when they were injured?

Quote Originally Posted by ColonusFan View Post
    Dear faith9778,

Due to the fact that you were disabled (SB) before age 22 you have access to your parents Social Security Benefits. Due to the fact your parent is drawing on their FICA there is an offset.

Personally I think your father should NOT have taken Workers Comp. thus opening the lawsuit door to the employer.

Trying to appeal SSA decisions are vary RARELY over turned in favor of the beneficiary.

In my case because I received a Tax rebate check during the George W. Bush Administration that exceeded the SGA monthly amount thus I was accessed a TWP Month (I NEVER WORKED FOR THE GOVERNMENT). They never acknowledged the error and thus the only thing I can do is wait another 60 months to reset TWP. Welcome to BROKEN AMERICA where bull $hit reigns SUPREME.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/dibplan/dqualify10.htm