Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: free wheel attachment

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by diaspora View Post
    that's my problem with the freewheel,
    I have a CUSTOM FOOTPLATE that is large (I like them that way so my feet don't slip around, they tend to hate staying in one place) and it seems I have to go to the stock plate? who uses the stock plate? how do you keep your feet from moving around and keep the heels touching the plate.
    What type of chair. Manufacturer's have different footrest depths. I have a custom footplate and the FreeWheel will fit on my chair...



    (Note--I do not own a FreeWheel, nor do I have any stake in promoting it)


  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Josh Anderson and I debated this at ISS last year. I've been adding 1" on a V front end.

    should i add a inch to the footplate if its a tapered front
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

  3. #13
    Senior Member patd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    823
    I would. When I wear boots in the winter it's good to go.

    Pat

  4. #14
    Senior Member DaleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    5,408
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    should i add a inch to the footplate if its a tapered front
    If you're normal measurement is just enough room, then YES, definitely! If you've already got ~3/4" to work with...I don't recommend adding any, personally.

    An extra inch would annoy me, day in and day out, more than a nice snug fit while I'm off the tarmac, with the Freehwheel styling, out front. It kind of makes sense...if you think about it...too much...

    __________________

    He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    If you're normal measurement is just enough room, then YES, definitely! If you've already got ~3/4" to work with...I don't recommend adding any, personally.

    An extra inch would annoy me, day in and day out, more than a nice snug fit while I'm off the tarmac, with the Freehwheel styling, out front. It kind of makes sense...if you think about it...too much...

    The widest section of the clamp for the FreeWheel is 1" wide...


    It is more important to think about that extra inch when you have a tubular footrest and the outsides of your feet are already in contact with the tubing at the bend where transitions from horizontal to vertical.



    This may be more of an issue with a V-front because the bend may have more of an effect. This V-front has a 12" footrest spacing, but the actual useable footrest width (where the tubing is completely horizontal and the feet can be completely flat is only about 9.25"). If your feet are displaced outward too much by the FreeWheel's clamp, they could be forced up the side of the extension tubes. This can lead to excess pressure or displace one's feet upward where they are more likely to accidentally bump and dislodge the clamping lever.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 04-18-2012 at 11:33 PM.


  6. #16
    Senior Member DaleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    5,408
    Terrific detail!



    For me, it boils down to propensity of use. I'd rather have a slightly tight Freewheel setup, for occasional use, than a loose fitting footrest for my normal use.

    What I notice is that my shoes aren't the same width from front to rear, so when the Freewheel is attached, they sit ~1/4" forward on the footrest, and they're a perfect fit. When I really want them to be secure, I pull them back and the soles lock in, nicely.

    Everyone's mileage will vary, but this is my preference!






    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    The widest section of the clamp for the FreeWheel is 1" wide...


    It is more important to think about that extra inch when you have a tubular footrest and the outsides of your feet are already in contact with the tubing at the bend where transitions from horizontal to vertical.



    This may be more of an issue with a V-front because the bend may have more of an effect. This V-front has a 12" footrest spacing, but the actual useable footrest width (where the tubing is completely horizontal and the feet can be completely flat is only about 9.25"). If your feet are displaced outward too much by the FreeWheel's clamp, they could be forced up the side of the extension tubes. This can lead to excess pressure or displace one's feet upward where they are more likely to accidentally bump and dislodge the clamping lever.
    __________________

    He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

  7. #17
    SCI_OTR,

    Your CCC posts continue to exhibit some excellent, visually descriptive pictures. Good job!

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by patd View Post
    I would. When I wear boots in the winter it's good to go.

    Pat

    Hey pat! the freewheel can be adjusted to any footplate depth?

    Doesn`t matter about if you have footplate or a open footrest?


    So if i`ve got an open footrest with 14cm depth will attach ok?

  9. #19
    Senior Member patd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    823
    Hey Toto, the FreeWheel can be configured to fit many different designs of footrests, open and plates. Also, different depths of footrests are easily fit. The setup guide comes with it and/or is available at www.gofreewheel.com. Let me know if you have any more questions. Pat

Similar Threads

  1. Muscle Recovery-Fatigue-Wheel Chair Free Day
    By WarrenJ in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 10:35 PM
  2. Invacare shower chair wheel lock attachment part
    By forestranger52 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 06:37 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 08:07 PM
  4. Best attachment I have seen
    By djrolling in forum Equipment
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 10:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •