Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: free wheel attachment

  1. #1

    free wheel attachment

    im ordering a new chair should i get a wider footplate i want to get the free wheel to and want to make sure of the width of the plate is ok for the freewheel like how wide is the part that attaches to the footplate
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

  2. #2
    My ZR 10.5" footplate is kinda tight and my AeroZ 11" footplate is just right.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

  3. #3
    Doesn't the right footrest width depend on your shoe width?

    Ask Pat:
    Attachment 44511
    Last edited by chasmengr; 04-14-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  4. #4
    Senior Member jschism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    im ordering a new chair should i get a wider footplate i want to get the free wheel to and want to make sure of the width of the plate is ok for the freewheel like how wide is the part that attaches to the footplate
    put on the biggest(widest) shoes you wear and add a couple of inches. I have a 14" wide ZR with no taper and that's about perfect for the freewheel and my snow boots. The footplate measures 11" between the bends. I wear a size 9 shoe.
    Last edited by jschism; 04-14-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: add

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    put on the biggest(widest) shoes you wear and add a couple of inches. I have a 14" wide ZR with no taper and that's about perfect for the freewheel and my snow boots.

    you mean the plate is 14 inches wide or the tubes on your chair are 14 and by no taper do you mean you have a v front
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

  6. #6
    Senior Member jschism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    you mean the plate is 14 inches wide or the tubes on your chair are 14 and by no taper do you mean you have a v front
    the chair is a 14" wide seat, measured to outside of tubes. I have "no taper" the down tubes in front are same width as the seat, no "V", no taper at all. The footplate is 11" measured between the bends.

  7. #7
    Senior Member DaleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    5,408
    The Freewheel attachment piece takes up right about 3/4", between your feet.

    I would never add inches, personally. I spec mine exactly the width of my favorite shoes. Really helps me control the chair from the hips when my feet can't slide around.

    9.5" at the end of the down tubes is perfect for me. 10.5", with a Freewheel.
    __________________

    He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

  8. #8
    Josh Anderson and I debated this at ISS last year. I've been adding 1" on a V front end.


  9. #9
    that's my problem with the freewheel,
    I have a CUSTOM FOOTPLATE that is large (I like them that way so my feet don't slip around, they tend to hate staying in one place) and it seems I have to go to the stock plate? who uses the stock plate? how do you keep your feet from moving around and keep the heels touching the plate.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by diaspora View Post
    that's my problem with the freewheel,
    I have a CUSTOM FOOTPLATE that is large (I like them that way so my feet don't slip around, they tend to hate staying in one place) and it seems I have to go to the stock plate? who uses the stock plate? how do you keep your feet from moving around and keep the heels touching the plate.

    Or, Pat may make up a custom hitch for you. Email him, he's a good guy.

Similar Threads

  1. Muscle Recovery-Fatigue-Wheel Chair Free Day
    By WarrenJ in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 10:35 PM
  2. Invacare shower chair wheel lock attachment part
    By forestranger52 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 06:37 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 08:07 PM
  4. Best attachment I have seen
    By djrolling in forum Equipment
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 10:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •