Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vitamin B12 deficiency

vitamin B12 deficiency

anyone here deficient in vitamin B12 supposed to be quite common in all types of SCI's

Borderline anemic because of iron stores, not a B12 deficiency. Also Vitamin D is a big one in SCI.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Vitamins

Why vitamin D thought it was from daylight thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by teaman2758 View Post
    Why vitamin D thought it was from daylight thanks for your reply
    Excerpt from US News "Health" http://health.usnews.com/health-news...-for-vitamin-d

"In the winter, it's impossible to produce vitamin D from the sun if you live north of Atlanta because the sun never gets high enough in the sky for its ultraviolet B rays to penetrate the atmosphere. But summer is a great time to stock up on the nutrient. When the sun's UV-B rays hit the skin, a reaction takes place that enables skin cells to manufacture vitamin D. If you're fair skinned, experts say going outside for 10 minutes in the midday sun—in shorts and a tank top with no sunscreen—will give you enough radiation to produce about 10,000 international units of the vitamin. Dark-skinned individuals and the elderly also produce less vitamin D, and many folks don't get enough of the nutrient from dietary sources like fatty fish and fortified milk.

The government's dietary recommendations are 200 IUs a day up to age 50, 400 IUs to age 70, and 600 IUs over 70. But many experts believe that these recommendations are far too low to maintain healthful vitamin D levels. They advocate for supplementation in the winter of about 2,000 IUs per day and a dose of daily sunshine in the summer."

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by teaman2758 View Post
    anyone here deficient in vitamin B12 supposed to be quite common in all types of SCI's
    Here are some threads referencing Vitamin B12 on the Care Cure Community Forums.

All the best,
    GJ

I have'nt had any problems with Vitamin B, but all kinds with Potassium, Protein, and on occasion Vitamin D.

It was pretty easy to clear up the Vitamin D, but since I don't seem to eat as much as I use to, I stuggled a bit with the protein, and whenever I can afford them, I get protein bars to eat. I struggle with the potassium because I have swelling problems and take diuretics everyday.

I have low sodium.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Vitamin B12 deficiency actually isn't "common" in people with SCI, per se.

BUT low B12 can cause a toxic injury to the spinal cord, actually. So maybe that's where the misperception comes from that it is common.

B12 deficiency happens frequently in vegans, some people on a gluten free diet, and some vegetarians who can't get everything they need from their diet and forget to supplement.

Vitamin D deficiency is pretty common in all people. And it is more common in the elderly and people with a disability and anyone who doesn't get out enough in places with adequate year-long sun exposure.

Vitamin B12 deficiency may occur with aging, as intrinsic factor (which is produced in your stomach and is needed to absorb this vitamin) may not be produced as well in many as they age.

Metformin also can interfere with intrinsic factor production, which can cause a lot of people with Type II diabetes to be deficient in B12.

We recently had a SCI/D patient on my unit who acquired her spinal cord damage due to long-term B12 deficiency, which is one of the more exotic causes of posterior cord syndrome. Unfortunately, hers was not diagnosed early enough to prevent some pretty significant cord damage, and although she is supplemented now, the damage appears to be permanent.

(KLD)

That's too bad! I never realized until the last couple of years the damage that can be done by being deficient in Vitamins!