Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Eval at VA SCI Center

Linda,
    I'm really excited for you and Dave to get this opportunity. Everyone has such great comments about this center, it should be a very productive visit.

All the best,
    GJ

Linda ~ the Minneapolis facility is beautiful I have been there during a clinical rotation on other areas of the VA years ago, but was there last year visiting a friend. It's a big facility but you can always find someone to help you find where you need to go. I hope the SCI center works well for you. Hopefully the weather here clears up and will be warm for you to enjoy. Best wishes to you both!!!
    ACDF C5/C6, C6/C7 9/2011& Central Cord Syndrome

Good luck, Linda
    TH 12, 43 years post

Guess I was thinking about someone else I met recently who was talking about Seattle. Anyway, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how quick the VA is to provide you with the equipment and supplies that you need for him to stay healthy and as functional as possible. We went for nearly 20 years before we discovered Mark was eligible, thanks to KLD! It is in dramatic contrast to what the typical traditional health plan will provide. Best wishes and safe travels!

Good luck today Linda and Dave! I hope it turns out to be the best thing for you both.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Linda, are you home yet? Would be good to know how the annual evaluation went and how you felt the quality of the care was for your husband.

(KLD)

We got home last night. I can't say enough good things about what a nice facility it is and how good it was for Dave to meet some other guys in chairs.
    There was so much to do on his chair and positioning that his stay was extended.
    We will return in a few weeks when more parts come in.
    The doctor and OT suggested trying a head array (?) instead of the sip n puff.
    My sister and I stayed at the Fisher House-what a wonderful place.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    We will return in a few weeks when more parts come in. The doctor and OT suggested trying a head array (?) instead of the sip n puff.
    Good to here it went very well. Was his OT Wendy?

ASL 105 Head Array...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=173766
    Attached Images Attached Images  

His OT was Chris and he was awesome and really understood the positioning issue.
    He got pressure mapped and turns out the cushion he has is doing the job.
    There are some new parts coming that should get him sitting up straighter.
    The wound nurse reccomended an air bed and sent a referal to our local VA. His skin is excellent and we want to keep it that way.
    I was glad be brought the manual chair along for some tune ups.
    They have ordered a new one that should be less hard on my back when do the tilt for him.
    They really spent a lot of time with the power chair.
    Also on the lower carb/diabetic diet he has lost 12 pounds since January.

Linda, this is just wonderful news. I can't tell you how happy I am for you and Dave about this whole experience.