Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with weed-whacker

Help with weed-whacker

I just picked up a Black & Decker battery powered weed-whacker on sale yesterday at Lowes just to use for the occasional light trimming in between mowings, etc. I asked the guy when I bought it if it was a one button operation and of course he said yes. I got it home, put it together, charged the battery, and it's not a one button operation. You need to push in the button on either side of the handle, THEN squeeze the trigger...something these quad hands can't do.

Can any of you think of an easy way to keep the button engaged so I can simply pull the trigger when I want to use it? Or bypass this safeguard?

The handle with the trigger(which I can squeeze) and the button up top on the handle that I need to push to engage the trigger.

The problem is the button that I need to push before engaging the trigger goes straight thru so it can be pushed from either side, but not both at the same time, otherwise I would just tape it pushed in. (Sorry for the fuzzy pic.)
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

thought I had a solution but then realized
    I did not...lol and you cannot delete

If you can unscrew the handle off, remove the switch, cut the wires and strip the insulation and twist them together and tape, test it, if it doesn't work, separate the wires and test, it should work taped together though. Otherwise take a small screw, push the button in and screw the screw in between the button and the frame and don't forget you have no safety when you use it.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    If you can unscrew the handle off, remove the switch, cut the wires and strip the insulation and twist them together and tape, test it, if it doesn't work, separate the wires and test, it should work taped together though. Otherwise take a small screw, push the button in and screw the screw in between the button and the frame and don't forget you have no safety when you use it.
    Thanks Trek. These hands aren't the best for handling too detailed dismantling but it does sound liken the easiest solution. And the screw would work too, for a while, until the cheap plastic cracked. Thanks.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Can you hold down one button Robin and then drip some super glue down between the depressed button and the case, it should be strong enough to lock it in the on position.

Perhaps taping the button down. Put something over the button so it'll be pressed in and then wrap tape around it.

Hmmmm...

...I'd probably push it through one side, tape it off, cut the end sticking out off, and then cover that side with tape, too.

I'd consider squirting some epoxy into the cut off side, too, if I had some handy.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I did the screw thing in all my cordless and power tools. The glue didn't last very long before it broke loose. Just pay heed when picking them up.
    DIGG.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    Can you hold down one button Robin and then drip some super glue down between the depressed button and the case, it should be strong enough to lock it in the on position.
    Just make sure you don't hold the button while the super glue is curing or you maybe going to bed with a weed whacker tonight!
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
    I did the screw thing in all my cordless and power tools. The glue didn't last very long before it broke loose. Just pay heed when picking them up.
    Great idea, that should work.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred