Thread: AFO Question...

AFO Question...

What can I Put on my AFO to Prevent them from scratching the floor?
    Never Give Up!

An AFO is designed to be worn under a shoe. It is not safe to walk with an AFO without the shoe as they are very slippery.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    An AFO is designed to be worn under a shoe. It is not safe to walk with an AFO without the shoe as they are very slippery.

(KLD)
    I don't use them to walk, I use them to prevent my foot from dropping.
    Never Give Up!

I'm having a little trouble understanding what your problem is, exactly . If you don't use them to walk, I presume you only wear them while in a wheelchair, in which case they would never touch the floor at all.

If you use them while standing / walking / transferring and they're touching the floor, then they're either made wrong or you should put on some kind of shoe over them .

What other possible scenario am I missing?

You can apply moleskin to the bottom of the AFO. You can buy it at any drugstore or walmart and it has a sticky backing.

The sewing departments at Walmart and craft store have many sewing notions that have sticky backing that would work for what you are needing. They sell felt with a sticky backing and you could cut it to size and stick to your AFO bottom.

or what all rednecks use duct tape LOL Electrical tape would even keep it from scratching the floor and you could remove it easily.

However if you stand, it will make them slippery.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Yup, put a shoe over it! That is the intention of the design, even for drop foot management. Shoe soles aren't flat, thicker under the heel, so a foot in a shoe, in an AFO, is still somewhat 'heel up, toes down'.

Alternately, a foot in an AFO, in a shoe, has proper ankle flexion...assuming its fit and on well.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    I'm having a little trouble understanding...
    I'm not quite understanding the issue, either. Even if you put moleskin on the bottom of the AFO, without a shoe to hold the orthotic in place (supported by a built-in strap at the orthotic's ankle-foot joint), you will be at terrible risk of falling. In fact, a non-skid surface applied to the sole of an AFO would serve to anchor your foot to the ground while the rest of you continued moving forward, potentially resulting in a fracture.

My PT and physiatrist have always told me to never, ever so much as stand up without the brace being in a shoe. If foot drop is an issue and you aren't trying to walk, I don't understand why an AFO would be necessary; but if you need an AFO in order to stand or walk, for safety's sake the orthotic must be worn with a supportive shoe.

And remember to pull the lining out of the shoe before you put your foot into it or else pressure sores are inevitable...

I wear them around the house without shoes. I transfer to a mattress on the floor to stretch my back (long story) and my wife says I'm scratching the floor. I think I'll try felt and moleskin and see how that works. It's really just the geeks that scratch.
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    I wear them around the house without shoes. I transfer to a mattress on the floor to stretch my back (long story) and my wife says I'm scratching the floor. I think I'll try felt and moleskin and see how that works. It's really just the geeks that scratch.
    I wore AFOs as a kid...The physio put a thin foam (kind of like a thin version of a camping mat) on the base. I'd say the mole skin will work just as well but if you can find it, it's pretty cheap and you can buy in bulk. Good luck!