Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Things people say that annoy you - GRRR!

I'm sure you've all had the hands between the legs, bending slightly at the knees, and talking to you like you're two, right?

That's one of my absolute favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I always thank people for offering, which is a little more difficult when I tell them I have it and they try to help any way and end up in my way but I am nice them and try not to discourage them from offering, I could need assistance some day
    Thank You,
    My son is a quad and some doors can be very difficult, people are usually very helpful and I'm glad when they are.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I always thank people for offering, which is a little more difficult when I tell them I have it and they try to help any way and end up in my way but I am nice them and try not to discourage them from offering, I could need assistance some day
    Same here, whether I need/accept the help or not, I always say "I appreciate the offer". I don't want to discourage people from offering someone assistance. And frankly, I've opened and held doors for people pre-SCI and post, and it's never a reflection of their ability, just that I'm there going thrpugh the door anyway, just common courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    I'm sure you've all had the hands between the legs, bending slightly at the knees, and talking to you like you're two, right?

That's one of my absolute favorites.
    This bothers you? I rather them do that. I do not need to strain my neck looking up at them and I can also have an adult conversation looking at them in the eye...just like I would have if I was AB.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    This bothers you? I rather them do that. I do not need to strain my neck looking up at them and I can also have an adult conversation looking at them in the eye...just like I would have if I was AB.
    That one does truly bother me. The tone in their voice is like you're two.
    I have a good friend who is an AB and he's noticed this one too. He even goes as far to talk to me that way intentionally because it's so offensive.

It bothers me, too, when they bend at the knee and put their hands between their legs and talk to you, like you're two. They seem so amazed that you can actually reply, that you can talk in complete sentences, etc. The other thing that gets me is when I'm overlooked because I'm with an AB person.

When I was at Lowes the other day buying some tools with my brother, I went to the checkout with my bro behind me - he had his own stuff to buy. The gal ran mine through, then addressed my brother...."Is there anything else?" I let it go, then she returned the receipt to my brother.

I told her "Hey, I'm the one buying this stuff, I put it up on the checkout belt, I gave you my CC, not my brother...you should learn to treat all people with respect. Just because I'm in a chair doesn't give you the right to ignore me as if I didn't exist."

She almost burst into tears, and I immediately felt like an ogre, but hell, maybe she learned something. She was just a kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    That one does truly bother me. The tone in their voice is like you're two.
    I have a good friend who is an AB and he's noticed this one too. He even goes as far to talk to me that way intentionally because it's so offensive.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    This really bothers me! I think the point is that they are talking right into your face and as if you were a sandwich short of a picnic. One lady saw me knitting in OT to exercise my working hand. She put her face in mine and in a loud voice asked (drawing out her words), "ARE WE LEARNING TO KNIT?"

I, too, appreciate it when friends lean over or pull up a chair so I'm not straining my neck, but that is not what the poster here was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    . The other thing that gets me is when I'm overlooked because I'm with an AB person.
    The worst was going to a Doctor for an infected toenail. He never once looked at me directly and directed all the questions to my AB husband. Although I was the one who answered all his questions he still spoke only to my husband. I couldn't believe a Doctor of all people would do that.

That's just f'd up, man. Sorry you had to go through that; with a doctor, no less. I know exactly what you mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by 47+years View Post
    The worst was going to a Doctor for an infected toenail. He never once looked at me directly and directed all the questions to my AB husband. Although I was the one who answered all his questions he still spoke only to my husband. I couldn't believe a Doctor of all people would do that.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 47+years View Post
    Sadly, I recognize this one. I had emergency surgery on a tibial plateau fracture two years ago (wow, has it really been that long?). For nearly a year after that, I had to go back to the surgeon who put my leg back together at least monthly (sometimes bi-weekly, and on a few occasions daily) following various complications. I don't drive, so I had to ask my mother or some other good samaritan to take me to every single one of those check-ups. And every single time, the surgeon spoke *only* to my mother, or whoever else was with me.

The thing is, for a while? I didn't even mind all that much. So I guess it was sort of my fault, for never once, in all those visits, pointing out to him how odd his behaviour was.