Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colonoscopy

I have the doctor check me into the hospital for any bowel prep pre-procedure [colonoscopy, kidneystone lithotripsy] but never for more than a 23 hr stay [ something about insurance coverage and same day surgery criteria]. I start with the commode and eventually wind up in the hospital bed. It is always an exhausting experience and a nightmare and the nursing staff are tired by the end too. My bowels work at glacial speeds resulting in my stiil undergoing bowel cleansing procedures right up to an hour before being wheeled down on a gurney for the procedure. If you know of any foods which you have eaten or drank that can trigger the runs [ex- very fatty/greasy foods; grapefruit juice. castor oil] than start consuming them 48 hrs beforehand.

Peggy c5-c6

PS- my elecolytes are always knocked out of the acceptable ranges after these hideous bowel preps. You might want to have your electrolytes monitored before you are discharged.
    Last edited by peegy p; 04-14-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added information

Quote Originally Posted by lilsister View Post
    My brother had his colonoscopy last year and it was much easier than anticipated by me, his caregiver. We did go to the hospital the evvening before since I figured there would be plenty of linen, disposal and help. He started drinking the go-lytely at about 4-5pm and I put him in bed about 7pm-no accident, yea! I had triple padded the bed, using turn sheets, cloth incontinence pads in 3 separate layers. Keeping him on his side, I would dig stim after putting a few chux just at the back (not really laying under him much) and receive the stool or watery mess, then wash the area and if some got off the chux the we could just roll him onto the next layer of turn sheet/cloth pads. I would do this every couple of hours thru the night, adding more padding as needed. So he was never laying on chux unless being stim'd. It would take about 5-10 minutes to do the deed every 2 hours. The hospital staff only helped once, but I was still glad we were there for laundry services. When we checked in I immediately went to the linen room and got a huge stack of linen supplies and brought a soiled laundry cart into the room for conveniance. He had had full liquids for the day prior to admission but since he is type l diabetic that was about all that was a change in diet, except cl liquids the night at hospital. We were rewarded with the doc saying it was the clearest colon he had seen in some time and had a good report. We went home about 3 hours after the procedure and never did have an accident. The usual BP (every 2-3 days) was a little lighter than usual for a few days after. He uses no laxatives or suppositories/enemas for his bowel program, just dig stim and manual assist in bed.
    Maybe you could ask your doc or the hospitalist doc where you are going to order an assistant at the hospital be assigned to you or private hire for the night. That way you would be cleaned consistently and there is less cross contamination while at the hospital with just one assistant. HJim would have layed in it for long periods if I hadn't been there, they had no idea what to do. That's another thing you could do-talk to the charge nurse before admission so they can be ready. Could you personal attendents take you for the first 4 hours and then come in early in am to help you? Hope this is helpful, I was sooooo dreading this, but it was much easier than I thought it would be. Best of luck, Deb
    Deb,
    No pun intended, but you really had this situation "covered." Great work. I'm sure you brother is grateful for your caring and expertise.

All the best,
    GJ

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Thank you very much lilsister. I was feared that it was quite a procedure and you explained it very well. Looks like a few days in the hospital at the regional SCI clinic, they or me may not like it but I am sure they can handel it. Just need to carefully watch for pressure spots.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    Thank you very much lilsister. I was feared that it was quite a procedure and you explained it very well. Looks like a few days in the hospital at the regional SCI clinic, they or me may not like it but I am sure they can handel it. Just need to carefully watch for pressure spots.
    Up here in the land socialized medicine, a one-day stay for colon prep is out of the question, let alone a few days. I asked. Do you have insurance that guarantees the overnight stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Up here in the land socialized medicine, a one-day stay for colon prep is out of the question, let alone a few days. I asked. Do you have insurance that guarantees the overnight stay?
    As "peegy p" mentioned, I've heard of the 23 hour stay in the hospital for this type of procedure, but certainly not a few days. When I read "Looks like a few days in the hospital at the regional SCI clinic..." by "forestranger52, " I was surprised too, maybe there are more medical check ups planned than just the colonoscopy. I would guess that private pay insurance and medicare would require preauthorization.

All the best,
    GJ

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I am very fortunate that the VA takes good care of us. They want me to have it done but I may need to return to Cleveland to do it. The VA places a lot of emphasis in having checkups and such for folks with SCI.

I had no DME with the Adultbasic health insurance program for the working poor I had when I was hurt. Shows how superior our civil service wages and benefits are that so upset the GOP. The new republican administration in PA eliminated the program recently. The VA provided 4 additional months of rehab and all the equipment, medicine and supplys I require because I am a income challenged, catastrophically injured Vet. It's a lifesaver.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-15-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    I am very fortunate that the VA takes good care of us. They want me to have it done but I may need to return to Cleveland to do it. The VA places a lot of emphasis in having checkups and such for folks with SCI.

I had no DME with the Adultbasic health insurance program for the working poor I had when I was hurt. Shows how superior our civil service wages and benefits are that so upset the GOP. The new republican administration in PA eliminated the program recently. The VA provided 4 additional months of rehab and all the equipment, medicine and supplys I require because I am a income challenged, catastrophically injured Vet. It's a lifesaver.
    Glad your healthcare is so good. Good luck with the colonoscopy.

All the best,
    GJ