Thread: difficult to lock RGO's at hip level

difficult to lock RGO's at hip level

can someone please give me some advise about locking mechanisms when using RGO's. i have sent my RGO's to be modified yet when they came back the locking device at the hips does not snap into place but needs to be pushed down. This means that i have to let go of my crutches or standing frame to lock them in place. In addition my back my be fully upright and straight for the locks to be set in place. i cannot let go of the crutches or frame to do this as i my fall. i do not wish to have someone by my side to help me each time i use the RGO's. May some of you help me out on this as my Pt and orthosis have no solution to the problem.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    which style of RGO mechanism do you have?

Did they snap into place ok initially or have they never locked
    into place on their own? how long have you had them?

If you connect up your RGO's without being in them as though they contained the invisible man and you manually work them, do the hip joints
    lock into place ok ?

I know I have to violently throw my hips forward to get my mechanism to engage, sometimes takes two attempts, but usually do it in one motion from sitting to stand.

Ths for answering will, the locks do not snap into place but must be pushed down on both sides. When i first tried them out they used to snap into place but only if i was was rigidly upright. this was causing me problems so they were modified with finger holds.now one needs to push them down to lock. i am finding this very difficult as i need to let go of the frame to do so. i would very much like to see a pic of locking devices i can show my Pt and orthosis technician.

The RGO generally comes in three flavors of mechanism.
    Hooped Cable
    Horizontal Cable
    Rocker Bar

99% of orthotists in the US use parts from Fillauer.
    You can see their catalog here http://fillauer.com/pdf/Fillauer_Companies_Catalogs.zip

The hip locking mechanism I am using is on page 336, the latching mechanism is spring loaded, so once it is aligned the springs lock
    the latch.
    I found the tighter my upper body was engaged into the upper body shell the easier it was to engage the hip locking mechanism, this may need more than just straps.

Just curious, what is your injury level? height? weight?

Locking out my hips in the parallel bars, just the first minute.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    Ths for answering will, the locks do not snap into place but must be pushed down on both sides. When i first tried them out they used to snap into place but only if i was was rigidly upright. this was causing me problems so they were modified with finger holds.now one needs to push them down to lock. i am finding this very difficult as i need to let go of the frame to do so. i would very much like to see a pic of locking devices i can show my Pt and orthosis technician.

Will
    I am a T11 complete however above injury is normal, i am 44 years onl 6ft tall and weigh 85kg
    i will discuss what you have sent me with my orthotists nest Saturday.
    Although qualified he has been of little help. a foreign company from England has done all the work measurements and adjustments but i do believe that we are still not there yet. i wish to put the RGO's on, lock/unlock without having a person helping me all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    Will
    I am a T11 complete however above injury is normal, i am 44 years onl 6ft tall and weigh 85kg
    i will discuss what you have sent me with my orthotists nest Saturday.
    Although qualified he has been of little help. a foreign company from England has done all the work measurements and adjustments but i do believe that we are still not there yet. i wish to put the RGO's on, lock/unlock without having a person helping me all the time.
    Is it this company http://rslsteeper.com/ and their ARGO ?
    I tried this, but it was $$$ and I found even though I fell within their weight and height range I was really beyond the limits of their units.
    6' 90kg.

Where abouts are you. I have found that 99% of having any kind of success with RGO's is having an orthotist that has has experience making and fitting them and adjusting and adjusting and adjusting.

In fact from my experience if the orthotist has never made them for an adult, I'd be super wary.

You should definitely be able to lock and unlock by yourself unassisted.

i will be attending pt next Saturday
    hopefully i might speak to the orthosis too
    i will report back

Send me a PM if you are near San Diego or Orange County. I know of a fantastic orthosis guy who can customize anything...