Thread: It hurts tonight

It hurts tonight

It's burning now and it has been all day. It changed today, I knew it had when I noticed I couldn't think of anything else. It started on Saturday and built. Now it's just straight burning.

I always forget how easily I forget pain when it goes away. I was pretty good for a little while. Went a couple of nights without any Vicodin, didn't need it. Now that the pain is bad enough (not awful) that I can't stop thinking about it I feel stupid for not being grateful when it was mostly gone. But I can't live everyday thinking about something that is not a problem. How grateful can I be? Finally got over my cold of a week and I can breathe through my face again and I'm happy about that but I can't spend everyday I don't have pain, just being grateful for it.

It's kind of my point that when my disability isn't a problem that I don't want to think about it. If it's not in the way, heck, just have a good time. Still, feeling guilty now about not appreciating how nice it was but when I'm in pain I stop thinking clearly. The stupid thoughts come with the pain. In a little while I'll go to bed and take my Vicodin and lay on some icepacks and in a few more days I'll be better. And I hope I don't spend a lot of time being grateful for the pain that isn't there, I'll be too busy just doing stuff I like.

I hate feeling weak and constant pain scares me and makes me feel weak. But I've got a long time on this horse and I can ride this out. Vicodin is okay. I went a few months without it. It was really great. It's okay that things move around, up and down. Keep moving I tell myself, it's something I heard here, on CC :-)

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I always forget how easily I forget pain when it goes away. I was pretty good for a little while.
    It's pretty incredible, isn't it? I have wondered if that's part of the problem getting doctors to understand. Some of them have no doubt have experienced severe pain, but long enough ago that their memory has faded, even if they don't realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg View Post
    It's pretty incredible, isn't it? I have wondered if that's part of the problem getting doctors to understand. Some of them have no doubt have experienced severe pain, but long enough ago that their memory has faded, even if they don't realize that.
    Maybe you're right. It is strange how I can forget the pain though. Maybe it's a natural gift :-)

Btw Vicodin didn't help last night, only got me high and didn't stop the pain. I don't know why it's sometimes like that. Lately it's been pretty helpful. Hopefully only a couple more days and I'll be feeling great. Doctor wanted me to walk more and I've been trying to find that line between when it's good and when it's hurting me. I guess I went overboard Saturday. I'll tell you one thing, I still can't understand why anyone would want to feel drugged. I hate it. Maybe that's why I've never had a problem with drugs. The liquid morphine a doctor gave me years ago finally started just leaking out of it's bottle because I had left it sitting so long without using it. It's mostly just made me itch and kept me awake anyway.

Blog Entries
    It might sound a bit nutty, but I can achieve pain reduction through a meditative form of yoga. A friend has undergone hypnosis and claims it helps. It might be a placebo effect but if you can find a source it's worth a try.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...pain-treatment
    Last edited by TomRL; 04-11-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added link
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    It might sound a bit nutty, but I can achieve pain reduction through a meditative form of yoga. A friend has undergone hypnosis and claims it helps. It might be a placebo effect but if you can find a source it's worth a try.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...pain-treatment
    The placebo effect is powerful and effective. I often think I do things to change my mood and so improve my pain that are mostly placebo. I don't care. Anything that helps is great in my book. Concentration, breathing, laughing (funny movies are great!) eating, sitting in the sun, just having a good time. All of these have helped me. Thanks for your suggestion.

I see myself as a critical thinker but when it comes to pain I get very superstitious and will shake a camel's tail if I think it will help. My dumbest tactic is to not say I am feeling better when I am, in fear of jinxing it. Embarassing but true.

My girlfriend has come over and given me massages while we watch old movies and I've been amazed at how much that has helped some times. I think it's more about changing my mood, lowering my anxiety and maybe even releasing some good chemicals. You know she'll actually massage me through a nearly two hour film? Don't know where she gets the stamina but she says she enjoys it. I often grunt and complain while she touches the hot spots and things are really hurting. She's sweet and patient though for myself I have to say I don't think I can watch another wacky comedy from the 1930's for a while :-)
    Last edited by grommet; 04-11-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Sorry you're on fire, grommet. It sucks when the pain becomes your whole world.

Two things...

First, have you ever tried anything other than Vicodin for managing the central [burning] pain? There are a number of non-narcotic meds that some people find work well, including gabapentin, amitryptiline and nortryptiline, lyrica, and topamax are the most common. They might work better for you than the Vicodin, and without leaving you feeling stoned.

Second, I understand that you, and some other CC members, don't like using narcotic pain medication, so you tend to wait until the pain ''gets really bad'' before you finally ''break down'' and take some. That's actually counterproductive because it often results in you both needing to take more pain meds and hurting more severely and for a longer period of time than you would if you 'stayed ahead of the pain' by taking your prn [i.e. as needed] pain meds long before the burning reaches the point when you can't think of anything else.

In practical terms, taking half a Vicodin as soon as the pain begins may be all you need to prevent it from becoming severe, whereas you may need to take two or more Vicodin and, as you wrote here, spend several miserable days lying on ice packs to try to get severe pain back down to a tolerable level.

Just something to think about. Hope you feel better soon, and that you never end up in such severe pain that you happily express your gratitude every day you wake up and/or go to bed without pain running your life.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Hipcrip,

Thanks for your sweet note. The pain wasn't that bad, maybe a 7, but it got bad enough that I couldn't think of anything else. It already seems better. I am surprised and grateful for that. I appreciate your advice on pain meds, I've heard some of those ideas before but I have a thick head and sometimes need to be pounded on the head until things sink in.

I have tried some of the meds you mentioned but things have been so much better this last year that for a few months I only needed maybe one Vicodin a month. It was amazing. I want to get back to that, not sure how but I'm doing the core exercises the doctor prescribed and I'm being less active in ways that seem to aggravate my pain. Hard to know just what that will be but I'm always trying to understand it better.

About a month ago I had my worst pain ever and as long as I never go back to that I'll figure I'm doing fine. I don't want to take medications, I've taken so much over the years. I used to picture a large salad bowl filled to the top with all the Vicodin tablets I'd taken. Things are better now, I'm happier and less stressed. Learning my limits has been the biggest blessing. Last year I did some walking on the beach, trying to show of for my girlfriend and heck, just wanting to enjoy the feeling. The next three days taught me I was never to do that again!

Wheelchairs are amazing. They SUCK! But when you need them they can change your life, take so much pain away. I've fought the damn chair nearly every day since I first got one but using it right means so much less pain and so much more life. That's why I'm getting an Icon, it will make things even better for me (I'm hoping).

You really are sweet to offer your advice but this last one wasn't so bad. It sucked and I was getting a little freaked out by the fourth day but I've had much worse and I just needed to vent a little. The pain forum on CC is good for that.