Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single cup coffee solution

I really like the keurig too. I am a dunkin fan, and like the green mountain nantucket blend from keurig best.

You usually get a sample pack when you get the machine to try out a few kinds, and you can shop around on the internet to get the best price. I actually often order from amazon.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Our entire family are Keurig converts. They are hugely popular now.

Apparently the patent on the cup system will expire this summer. Then the cost of the K-cups should come down, as many other companies enter the market as a coffee supplier for the standard Keurig\machines.

But of course, Keurig is already coming out with a "new" machine with a different shaped cup, so that a new patent countdown starts now...

http://www.keurig.com/vuesystem

So I would recommend buying the older machine/cup style, since you can get one on sale at a lot of places (ex. Kohl's) for a very good price, the cup supply/price will get even better this summer.

Costco and Sam's have great deals on K-cups, but have a smaller selection of coffee types. You can get ok prices at Bed Bath and Beyond when you go in with their monthly 20% of coupon, and at Kohl's when they have a sale and when you go in with your additional coupon if you have a Kohl's card.

My father is obsessed with coffee. Unfortunately, many days it is the only fluid he will drink. At least his bladder seems to tolerate it at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    The reusable cup is definitely a good idea. We have two so there's always a clean one ready to go.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    I really like the keurig too. I am a dunkin fan, and like the green mountain nantucket blend from keurig best.
    That's a good one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    But of course, Keurig is already coming out with a "new" machine with a different shaped cup, so that a new patent countdown starts now...

http://www.keurig.com/vuesystem
    Ahh! I was wondering why they had a new type of cup/brewer.

I've got one keurig at work, and another at home. i've had them for @ years and use them daily.
    In my city, there's a couple small 'mom and pop' k-cup stores with lots of varities. They let you pick out singles so you can try them without paying for a box of them. I grab like 12 different varities along with my regulars. Some are great, some i'm glad i had just the one!
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Green Mountain is out of Malden MA (or was 20 yrs ago). They make the Dunkin Donut coffee. If you try Green Mtns. Donut SHop Coffee, it is dunkin donuts .

We lived down the street and would see the Dunkin trailors coming in and out all day long. They had a wholesale store for spices and coffee.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-B31BLAC...4273793&sr=8-7

This is the one I use now but mine is silver. I used to order coffee in bulk though it is cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-B60-Spe...4273793&sr=8-1

I also have this one too. You can't have just one LOL.

Green Mountain coffees are by far my favorite brands.

I was noticing yesterday they have come out with iced versions of most of their coffees but I am not a fan.

I also have the reuseable basket.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

We are a big fan of the Keurig too. It's like having fresh brewed coffee, on-demand, with minimal cleanup involved.

I wasn't aware of the Keurig Vue. It looks nice, but at $249, I'll pass for now.

Tried one and it made the worst coffee I've ever had. Maybe the pre-made cups are better, but the my k cup device didn't work well for me. Most of the coffee had floated to the top and was still dry. The color looked about like tea and tasted like dirty water.
    Mine didn't come with any samples since it was on clearance shelf. It was also missing the regular holder so wrote if off as a waste to time and returned it. Now I just use a $15 "cordess" water heating kettle. The temperature comes out just right. I drip through a Melitta style cone paper filter lined with a fine screen filter. It's the best brewing system I've found. The screen filter keeps the coffee from clogging up the paper so the coffee can drip trough the paper faster. When you see what is left on the paper you'd never want to go with just a screen. The best thing is no scale to deal with like coffee maker.

MSspouse - I'm confused, did you just put the coffee grounds into the cup? Or did you just put them where the K-Cup would go? I'm not sure I'm clear on what part you were missing (the regular holder), could you elaborate?

The Keurigs still need to use a small, specially designed coffee filter if you don't have any K-Cups (see link in my first post in this thread), so it may be no wonder your coffee came out bad. When using a K-Cup or the special filters, I don't end up with coffee grounds in my cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    MSspouse - I'm confused, did you just put the coffee grounds into the cup? Or did you just put them where the K-Cup would go? I'm not sure I'm clear on what part you were missing (the regular holder), could you elaborate? ...
    I used the the special container to brew your own ground coffee.
    http://www.keurig.com/accessories/my-k-cup
    I got that one with the coffee maker. What I didn't get was the regular k-cup holder.

I didn't get any grounds in the finished coffee. I'm saying that after brewing, I found most of the coffee in the my-k-cup container was pushed up against the lid and was still dry. It appeared the force of the water just cut a channel through the coffee, went straight to the bottom of the screen, and flow out. I tried a couple times with the same result. I did not try other brands. My wife likes Gevalia.

The missing holder was not a deal breaker. I had no intention of spending money on pre-packaged k-cups anyway. I was primarily interested because I liked the concept of having a separate water reserve. It's difficult for my wife to pour water into a conventional coffee maker. If the Keurig worked, it would have been the easiest and safest way for her to make coffee.

In the past I tried an undersink hot water dispenser. Eventually the water got to tasting very metallic. Should have known that was a bad idea with well water. They are basically a water heater holding a small volume of near boiling water that can never be cleaned. Some day I'll try something like a Zojirushi Hot Water Dispenser. But I'm concerned about the long term reliability for such an expensive item.