Thread: Easter Dinner 2012

Easter Dinner 2012

Here's my finished after cooking pic's. Had a camera issue and didn't get any pre or during cooking pic's. HERE are some actual cooking pic's of the ham from last year that was exactly like this one but last years was better. I didn't have rum this year and used bourbon and I do believe that is what made the difference in taste.

Green beans slow simmer with a country ham hock, onions, garlic and pepper, a Southern Delight I grew up on!

Sweet potato casserole with a brown sugar pecan topping, excellent!

Corn pudding that was out of this world goooood! I had nothing to do with making this but had no problem eating it! My girlfriend made it and hopefully she will make it again soon! Bread pudding is next on my wish list from her!! She's a baker and she made a great Carrot Cake not pictured for dessert!

Here's the star of the show.....it shows it doesn't have to be pretty to taste good thank God.

Here's my plate, very good dinner with good company!
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

That is quite a different Easter dinner but it's been years since I gathered with anyone for that occasion.

My only reservation is that I don't like over-cooked vegetables. I like them to retain their 'green' and have a bit of freshness - or slight crunch - to them.

Definitely looks interesting though!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    That is quite a different Easter dinner but it's been years since I gathered with anyone for that occasion.

My only reservation is that I don't like over-cooked vegetables. I like them to retain their 'green' and have a bit of freshness - or slight crunch - to them.

Definitely looks interesting though!
    I agree Lynn, normally. The way the beans, onions and ham melt and mingle together is very good. Once or twice a year isn't bad to eat unhealthy!!
    Larry
    ------

I've never heard of a brown sugar pecan topping for sweet potato casserole either ... I would love to try that recipe as it sounds delicious but both of my brothers and a bro-in-law are diabetic! lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I've never heard of a brown sugar pecan topping for sweet potato casserole either ... I would love to try that recipe as it sounds delicious but both of my brothers and a bro-in-law are diabetic! lol
    I kept the Sweet potatoes super simple as I hate mushy soaked in butter overly sweet sweet potatoes.

6 - Sweet Potatoes (medium)
    2 - Eggs
    1 tsp - Vanilla
    1/2 cup - Milk
    (Note: Normal recipe calls for 1/2 cup white sugar and 4 TBS butter, I didn't add either)

Topping
    I cup - Pecans
    1/3 cup - Flour
    3 TBS - Softened butter

Cook potatoes on grill or in oven at 350* for an hour or until soft. Scoop out the meat of the potato into a bowl and let cool for a few minutes. Add in eggs, milk, vanilla and optional ingredients if you like. Adding them will give you sweeter potatoes, but then the potatoes lose their texture and become mush IMO.

Combine the topping ingredients untile they form crumbles and spread evenly on top of potato mixure. Cook on a grill or oven at 350* until the potatoes are heated through and the topping is golden brown.
    Larry
    ------

Send food.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Thanks Larry - I'm definitely going to try that!