Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: does this kind of thing make you mad?

That particular instance wouldn't have bothered me, I've heard worse.

Excellent post on "tribe" Kate. Being good to one another and sharing the things you have with the other members of your church makes for a good community.
    And really, that is what is important and enriching, no matter what brought your family together with good people.
    During times of people saying cringe inducing things I remind myself they mean well and would be mortified if they knew.

I for one, thought it was funny.

At first after my injury, I was very sensitive to most things, even the word "handicapped."

But I've gotten over all that now. There are more important things worth fighting over in life, like insurance and SSI issues. Pick and chose your battles.

I know a lady who said she was healed at a healing gathering. Both her sons were sci'ed. One has since died. She had sever carpal tunnel pain in both hands and surgery did not help the pain she was suffering. We all saw her pain over many months, and know the moment it went away.

neither son was healed though, and people did come up the them in the past, after church implying that they had some secret they had not confessed, implied things like they were gay or deviant in some way that caused them to be hurt or not healed.

that kind of shit really makes me angry. who cares if someone makes a joke about a gimpy person. I do it all the time to myself, but thinking someone is still sci'd because of lack of faith is what upsets me.

Telling a story about a paralyzed guy doesn't bother me, what DOES bother me is the fact that it's an outright lie, total BS, and giving false hope to those of use gullible enough to believe it. An like many have said it supports the belief of a small minority that think we just don't 'believe' enough.

If you do let the pastor know it bothered you i'd be interested to hear what she has to say.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by jody
    that kind of shit really makes me angry. who cares if someone makes a joke about a gimpy person. I do it all the time to myself, but thinking someone is still sci'd because of lack of faith is what upsets me.
    +1
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    Thx for replies, all of ya. I agree with everything you've said. I like this minister, and I know she wasn't suggesting that prayer can heal paralysis or anything silly like that . . . but she was furthering a bunch of stupid ideas all at once. Like, all people in chairs care about is walking, for example. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprSi View Post
    Telling a story about a paralyzed guy doesn't bother me, what DOES bother me is the fact that it's an outright lie, total BS, and giving false hope to those of use gullible enough to believe it. An like many have said it supports the belief of a small minority that think we just don't 'believe' enough.

If you do let the pastor know it bothered you i'd be interested to hear what she has to say.

edit:
    +1
    Based on what Kate said, the 'lesson' wasn't about anything (paralyses, miracles) happening given enough Faith or Belief.

The lesson seems to be (??) about being 'careful what you ask (God) for', or about trivializing faith or belief, more so than that God will provide if you have enough Faith or simply believe and pray (ask).

Kate, I think this may be used as a great opportunity for you to tell that story by talking to the church and telling a story from your direct experience and perspective. You might tell a more realistic and applicable story and instill an even better lesson on faith, community, and the positive and strengthening/reinforcing effects of prayer, not as something so simple as asking God or just believing, but as simple as the community, your brothers and sisters, the family, the 'tribe', supporting and giving you the strength to believe and hold onto your faith, and reminding you that you are not alone....

or something like that . You're a story-teller, a writer, a teacher, and you are the metaphor manifest. Who better to give the 'lesson'. The pastor might also step closer to understanding, and gain a lesson or two about empathy and sensitivity and the appropriate time and place for certain metaphors, or in better framing them. The pastor might even come to better understanding you, your family, and the tribe as a whole, and maybe even better minister the community she's new to.

there is one strange thing. all of us in that family had a premonition about being injured. or that one or the other would be injured. I think that cemented faith after it happened. some of those premonitions were very specific. enough to know I was not alone, and something is there. I would later have a premonition that would save my entire family from a second house fire one christmas eve. so about god and healing, I don't know, but about things you can't prove or explain yet there it was, I do know.

i know in my heart the is god. i have been prayed no not healed

my girl friend was injured and totally blinded in both eye never see again

they prayed on her han on several time she now can see out of 1 eye continues to rodeo aand train horses and and has gone to pca ans ipra finals several times

that is GoD.s hands

I think I would have rolled up and asked her to give it a try.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.