Thread: Anyone had trouble with discrimination when looking for work?

Anyone had trouble with discrimination when looking for work?

Has being in a chair made it harder for you to find work? I imagine the interviews can be kind of awkward. I know there are laws against this kind of discrimination (in the US at least), but I'm curious to hear some real life stories. I'll be looking for my first job since my injury soon (I got my current job prior to my injury).
    Last edited by BoyFallDown; 04-10-2012 at 03:22 AM.

186 views and no response.. Guess I'll take that as a no?

I was lucky enough to be on really good terms with my employer before my accident so he told me I have a job waiting whenever I'm ready for it.. Pretty cool. I'm going to complete a CAD course before I go back so I can do technical drawings and wiring diagrams, rather than just regular office work. My secretarial skills suck haha

But I'm not sure how hard it would be to get a job otherwise, I wouldn't have thought it would be too hard as long as you're physically capable of doing the job you want, and you impress them in the interview.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

I am a software engineer. I don't think I would allow someone disability to influence my hiring decision. I may even give them preferential treatment

I had some trouble finding work, and what I do now is by no means my dream job, but I hesitate to use the word 'discrimination' because ... well, because if I were the one making the hiring decisions, I'm not sure *I* would hire me for the kind of job I'd really like to do.

I did have one company specifically tell me once that they couldn't employ me, despite already having extended an offer, after they had a talk with their lawyer about the potential implications of employing a person of reduced mobility in a building that wasn't exactly designed with accessibility in mind. I suppose they were afraid I might sue them if something untoward happened. Although, at that time, I was primarily a crutch walker and not so much a wheelchair user, and there were no elevators but many, many stairs in that building, so their worry about my safety was probably not *entirely* unwarranted.

One other time, I made it to the third and final round of the interview process, only to find out that I couldn't be hired because the office building I was supposed to work at was utterly wheelchair-inaccessible.

There have also been a few interviews where I could sort of deduce from the deer-in-the-headlights expression on people's faces when they met me for the first time that they weren't going to hire me.

But for the most part, my job interviews have been fair and square, and where I didn't get the job, it was almost certainly because there were three or four better-qualified candidates waiting in line behind me.

My advice: go in with the expectation that you'll get a fair shake. The minute you start *looking* for signs of discrimination, you'll find them, even if they aren't always necessarily there -- and then you can kiss most of your job prospects goodbye.

Fighting this cripping war on unemployment.

BoyFallDown, you have to fight this crippling war on employment with an arsenal or weapons of mass destruction. Most important weapon in fighting this horrendous war is attitude. You number one weapon.

Next you need a polished résumé. I would suggest put nothing pertaining to any disability related organizations or groups you have been associated with or awards you won that would relate to disability. I still feel today even though we have the ADA behind us we still are discriminated against.

To win this crippling war you need to fight it 24/7. It is a full time job in itself to find employment again.

I feel smaller companies are afraid to hire us because we will cause expenses in medical care and work place accommodations. So seek employment at larger companies and organizations.

When you feel you are being beaten or wounded during this war, pull out your next weapon of mass destruction, the Harris Directory. You will find the Harris Directory at your local public library. The Harris Directory is a book in the reference section that lists all the names and addresses of companies, businesses and organizations in your county with number of employees, the CEO or president or owner with a bunch of other detail information. Photocopy each page that are located in your county. Now you make a dirty bomb out this. You incite a letter campaign to win this crippling war on unemployment. You send each name in the Harris Directory a cover letter and a copy of your résumé. I will guarantee you, you will get interviews.

True story here. I built a dirty bomb like above and one night while fighting this crippling war on unemployment I was getting tired. I had two or three more companies to write. I wanted to go to bed but I wanted to finish this task. My last company I wrote a cover letter to and sent a résumé was the company that hired me. I had three interviews and that interview I was hired. But during the interviewing process I had one contact with NASA and I kept sending them a letter of interest every month. Nine months within my first employer NASA called me and had “A window of opportunity for me to come aboard.” I left my first employer and have been with NASA ever since.

Times have changed since I started to fight that crippling war on unemployment. Today we have the internet. Try seeing a job working for this great Nation. Build your résumé online at:

http://www.usajobs.gov
    (http://www.usajobs.gov/)

Working for your Country they will accommodate you with your disability with no problems. They don’t discriminate against you because you have a disability but they do want to know if you have a disability because for two reasons? First, so they can make work place modifications for you if you need them. Second, the government has special hiring authorities that supersede regular hiring practices from the normal people to bring you aboard. You don’t have to take a medical exam for one.

Here are some important tips when seeking employment from the US Department of Labor:

http://www.dol.gov

Another weapon of mass destruction we have in our arsenal is the customized employment weapon. More information at the link below.

http://www.dol.gov/odep

I hope these weapons help you fight this crippling war on unemployment and win!

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 04-13-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: A repost.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Yes, lots of discrimination still out there. A few good companies too.

My bad experience was with Chrysler Corp where I was employed at time of my accident. That was back 1996 - 2001 that we had a long, ugly, go-round about things. In the end they won. (I have a t-12 complete injury)

But don't let that discourage you, I know a millwright who was injured at the T-4 level (complete) and when he was ready, 4 years later, they took him right back as a millwright. That was 1996.

These were both in Delaware, so location wasn't a factor in the outcomes.

Be ready for those who can't believe you can be an asset, but try not to have an attitude that will aleniate those who might be on your side.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I am a software engineer. I don't think I would allow someone disability to influence my hiring decision. I may even give them preferential treatment
    Hope I get someone like you when I start getting interviews