Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can I still recieve care while earning a substantial income?

How can I still recieve care while earning a substantial income?

Hi everyone,

I am a c3/c4 quad and for the past five years I have been studying At the U of I in champaign,il. I have A live in caregiver and my own apartment. His salary is funded by the department of human services here in IL.

In may I will be graduating making a salary of about 80k and I'm wondering if the sTtate will continue to pay his salary or will I become partially responsible?

Just curious If anyone has had a similar experience?

Thanks|
    Corey

I don't know, that's a good question.

I hope others will see this post. If you don't get some replies, I'll move it to Life or Care forum where more people will see it.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Talk to a Special Needs Trust lawyer.

Maybe your local ILC?CIL may have info.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Congratulations on your job. That is really fantastic. You should be very proud.

Will you be living in Illinois for your new job?

I suspect the benefits vary from state to state. From my experience in Illinois, your income needs to be very very low to qualify for state assistance. Your income will likely disqualify you once you get to your new job. Illinois is particularly in desperate straits financially at the moment, and rumor is that even more cutbacks are coming.

A couple of ideas...

Will you continue to need a live-in caregiver? Could you hire someone part time instead to assist you? In theory this should be cheaper for you.

Also, have you been working with a Vocational Rehab office? Perhaps they will have additional resources to assist you, particularly as you have done such a great job.... in finding a job. They may have programs that assist you to make sure you are able to function at your best and keep this job!

Good luck.

I hate to even ask how much a caregiver costs per month.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Congratulations on your job. That is really fantastic. You should be very proud.

Will you be living in Illinois for your new job?

I suspect the benefits vary from state to state. From my experience in Illinois, your income needs to be very very low to qualify for state assistance. Your income will likely disqualify you once you get to your new job. Illinois is particularly in desperate straits financially at the moment, and rumor is that even more cutbacks are coming.

A couple of ideas...

Will you continue to need a live-in caregiver? Could you hire someone part time instead to assist you? In theory this should be cheaper for you.

Also, have you been working with a Vocational Rehab office? Perhaps they will have additional resources to assist you, particularly as you have done such a great job.... in finding a job. They may have programs that assist you to make sure you are able to function at your best and keep this job!

Good luck.
    Thanks!

yes I'm going to continue to need a live-in caregiver. My job will be in Washington DC but only for a year. The program is rotational so I will move around the country for a few years. I have been working with a vocational rehab office, but I'm hesitant to ask for their advice regarding the situation to protect my benefits.

A special needs trust lawyer may be the route… Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by This Sucks View Post
    Thanks!

yes I'm going to continue to need a live-in caregiver. My job will be in Washington DC but only for a year. The program is rotational so I will move around the country for a few years. I have been working with a vocational rehab office, but I'm hesitant to ask for their advice regarding the situation to protect my benefits.

A special needs trust lawyer may be the routeā€¦ Thanks for the advice!
    Well, since you will be leaving Illinois anyway, you may as well ask your Vocational Rehab what typically happens. There is no way you could hide your upcoming income anyway. Of course, VR's main goal is to get you working, so the first thing they will want to know is your income!

Good luck with the lawyer, and let us know if you learn anything.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    your caregiver is provided through the DORS program which is state based. It is also based on income, but since you are frsh out of college and "trying to work", it might get subsidized for a while, at best. There are plenty of people who need full time care, make a lot less money, and get no help. Welcome to the real world.
    Last edited by jschism; 04-08-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Congratulations with your job! ... and welcome to the world of 'work for a living and don't qualify for anything' ... I'm well versed in this, although I am lucky enough to be just paraplegic and therefore, independent.

I hope you find your answers and are not penalized for working! I would stick with the argument that the more you earn, the more taxes you pay ... but I guess legality will win out over common sense every time.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Just wondering...are you on a ventilator? Why do you need 24/7 care? Is the state actually paying for that now?

Low income, and assets is usually a prerequisite for state funded attendant programs. Do you have a settlement of some sort? I don't believe you can just put your income into a Special Needs Trust, but I am not an attorney.

Regardless, you will have to qualify for any program in Washington DC (or nearby state) once you establish residency there, and then you may still not qualify. In my state, that is at least 30 days, and there is no way they pay for 24/7 (in fact, just recently the maximum has been cut to 90 hours per month).

Most people living on an income such as you describe do indeed private pay for attendant care, and find ways to maximize the "bang for their buck". For example, they do not use an agency, but hire and train privately, and, if looking for live in, count board and room as part of the salary. Agency help is not feasible unless you are making even more than what you describe.

(KLD)