Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can I still recieve care while earning a substantial income?

I was getting a disability check each month for the first year and a half after I had my wreck. Then I started back to work and worked for 2 years while still getting a disability check each month (was advised it was ok since I wasn't making a lot). After 2 years of working I decided to go back to school and while in school I was contacted by my local SS office regarding my monthly payments while working. Long story short, I ended up having to pay SS back the money I got while working for 2 years even though I was misinformed that the amount I was making was below the SS limit. I haven't recieved any money or benefits from SS, medicare, etc. since finishing school in 1997 because I make to much $$ which is a little below what your going to be making.

Good luck to you and your quest!
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Talk to your VR counselors about these concerns. Hopefully they have someone on staff that is a benefits specialtist.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

you can continue to receive caregiver assistance thru the state (well, depending on state rules) IF work related expenses put you under the minimal amount of SSA SGA (significant gainful activity). a caregiver who assists you in preparing for work and/or drives you there, transportation to/from work, assistive devices used at work, etc. are all work related expenses. there is no trial work period related to WRE. i did this for a few years in CA until my salary no longer was offset by WRE due to what i was making. i doubt an 80k salary can be offset by WRE unless you're paying a whole lot.

consult the SSA Redbook and the state rules.

http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/

of course, i kind of mixed up state and federal here, so the state laws are mainly what affects your caregiver (i assume). in CA, as long as i received SSDI (that's another thing, SSDI rules differ from SSI), i received some state help to pay someone to help me get ready for work.
    Last edited by cass; 04-09-2012 at 02:56 AM.

In NY there is a thing called a medicaid buy-in program that lets you stay on medicaid even if you make too much, but up to something like $52,000. Then, there is another quirk in the law that says if you put the check in the trust in the same month its received, it doesn't get counted against you regarding the buy-in program. But, better to talk to a lawyer specializing in medicaid and elder law.

It's such a ridiculous setup that we deal with right? Once you make too much, they take away the funding that lets you be a productive member of society. It would make sense to me just to charge an additional tax that slides based on income to help pay for the costs without draining the paycheck!
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

It can be done but it seems to be a secret of some kind. I met a woman at a meeting once, a high quad born with her disability and we were discussing women's health issues and if I were on Medicaid I could go to the clinic that was accessible but since I was working I was ineligible.

anyhow she just looked at me like I was an idiot that I didn't know how the system worked (still don't) as she had a high paying job, someone to drive her to/from in her accessible van to her accessible apt. and had aide care paid for through Medicaid.

Maybe they all sign a pact saying they'll never tell...
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    It can be done but it seems to be a secret of some kind. I met a woman at a meeting once, a high quad born with her disability and we were discussing women's health issues and if I were on Medicaid I could go to the clinic that was accessible but since I was working I was ineligible.

anyhow she just looked at me like I was an idiot that I didn't know how the system worked (still don't) as she had a high paying job, someone to drive her to/from in her accessible van to her accessible apt. and had aide care paid for through Medicaid.

Maybe they all sign a pact saying they'll never tell...
    Wow. What the heck......

In Oregon, there's a program designed for the working disabled to work and keep Medicaid benefits. I don't need the insurance, but I do need the services. I work 30 hrs/wk and gross $2900 and I'm at the top of the eligibility scale w/o a special needs trust. My pay in is $150/month.
    I don't know if this is available elsewhere or not. Anyone???

A lot of states have medicaid buy-in for those who are working. The OP really needs to meet with someone that has knowledge on these benefits. I know Voc Rehab and also Easter Seals usually have someone specifically to help with these issues.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Here is a link to the Illinois Medicaid buy-in program information:
    http://www.illinoislegaladvocate.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_Content&contentID=10 21

I think it varies between each person if it is worth it to participate in this program or not and work. If you're going to be in DC, for a year, I doubt that you would be eligible for this program since you will not be living in that state. It's likely that you will have to hire your caregiver with your income. This includes getting a Federal tax ID number, and providing your attendant a IRS 1099 miscellaneous at the end of the year with the wages you pay to them, or paying your attendant as your employee. If you pay as an employer, you are responsible for your taxes you paid to them as well as their taxes they owe depending on how many deductions they may have.

Through your state vocational program, there may be a personal care assistant program, which helps reimburse up to a certain amount those qualified applicants who are trying to work, or form their own business. To find out this information, I would call your Department of rehabilitation services. However, with you living in DC, you would have to probably find a program there.

All the money that you pay out for personal care assistance and medical expenses is deductible on your tax income.

If you are on SSI you can probably qualify for an individualized threshold on 1619(b), with as much as your attendant care and other state funded medical expenses are you could be eligible for an $80K or higher threshold. Medicaid buy-in programs are a great option too, though each state has very different qualifications and services. Will you maintain Illinois residency? Talking to DVR might help, but most counselors are ignorant to employment "incentives" and how they really work. A PASS is another temporary solution, that is how I currently qualify for Colorado Medicaid while they fix our buy-in to include personal assistance services (PAS). No matter what your solution, maintaining PAS will always be a part-time job.