Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How did you become paralyzed?

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    Does anyone else relive their accident (in their mind), how it happened, why it happened and/or how it could have been avoided?

Doing this doesn't help at all, in fact it can make you feel worse...but it's hard to avoid.
    absolutely not.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

My husband was taking part in a bicycling event near Lake Tahoe (called Death Ride...ugh. and yes, it was a pedaling type of bicycle...not a motorcycle). He was going downhill around 45 mph, when his front tire hit some debris in the road and popped, sending him over the handlebars. Cracked C7 (no spinal cord damage there) and T4/T5 were busted up pretty good. Also broke 6 ribs, and got a decent size gash on his head (the uber expensive helmet he talked me into buying a few days before saved his life).

We were boat camping in Northern Wisconsin on an island in a river flowage. A bad storm blew up and brought an F1 tornado. Went right through our campsite. Most of the trees in the forested site were snapped off and hurled through the air. One landed on our tent, pinning me underneath. L1 and L5 incomplete injuries, one badly broken leg and ankle, internal injuries. We were in a remote area. Most of our camping equipment had been blown away. Our boat was under a tree and the kayak wasn't found until the next day. I'm grateful to my quick-thinking and strong husband for doing the right things. ...and I'm grateful to have survived.

Dove off a ropeswing and into a rock waiting paitently in the Rogue River and ended up c5/6 quad. It was my favorite place to be...we're moving to a house about 1/4 mile from that river this summer, so it's time to make my peace. That may involve a designated driver and Hefeweizen with extra lemon.

Does anyone else relive their accident (in their mind), how it happened, why it happened and/or how it could have been avoided?
    I wish my brain would let that memory out, just have maybe 30 seconds before the accident available.

Anyway...OOPS!

Doing this doesn't help at all, in fact it can make you feel worse...but it's hard to avoid.
    can't relive it as i don't remember it. the why/how was out of my control. so, all i can say to answer is no. it's like subsequent loss of my family. one can go crazy asking why.

I don't relive the acual events, though they're clear in my mind, I thought often of the why and still do, as my accident involved three related families and altered relationships permanently. I wish I had gotten hurt doing something I loved or helping someone, instead of working for uncles I detested. My only consolation is one died of valley fever and his funeral was Nov 10, the same day he caused my accident.

I remember mine vividly. I was doing a motorcycle stunt doubling William Shatner. I was suppossed to take a bike off a sand dune, leave the bike and roll down the hill. no big deal. I hit some hard sand and overshot my Mark.

I remember leaving the bike flying thru the air and hearing a female voice tell me as clearly as if she were there that everything was going to be okay. I think the voice distracted me enough that I landed on my back. I was told later by a psychic, that it was my grandmother who always watched over me before she passed away. It was almost like I was watching it happen out of body.

On a funny note to this. As I was laying in the sand and Bill was holding my hand; this girl I picked up the night before was let up the hill. She knelt down beside me, grabbed my other hand, held it to her chest and looked Bill straight in the eyes and said" I've been wanting to meet you all my life, I love you." Even with a broken back I had to laugh.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 04-11-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Fell off a ladder and landed on my back in a construction site

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/picture...283963&thumb=1

I had a brand new 1967 Firebird and was a sophomore in college. I was not drinking nor speeding but it had been lightly raining. I was rounding a curve about ¼ mile from home when my back wheels broke traction and as I rotated 180º and sliding off the road (going backwards), I hit a concrete culvert. (This was a year before mandatory headrests!) Whiplash and a broken neck at C5-C6, left me paralyzed from my shoulders down. I was in surgery in less than 30 minutes which I believe helped tremendously. In 3 months I was standing and went to Warm Springs, Ga. for rehabilitation. I spent the next 37 years walking with crutches and an AFO.

I do not relive this in horror but as a real "attention getter!" Four years post I got married and have remained with the same (crazy) blond woman for 40 years! I look back and my life could have easily been much worse.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne